 Local / Nippon / * (-5)
Subject:
Build Up Japan - 1.8 million LEGO Bricks Used to Create Map of Japan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2012 23:59:47 GMT

1.8 million LEGO Used to Create Map of Japan

From Spoon-Tamago website, by Johnny on August 9, 2012

I know what you’re thinking: ugh, another LEGO project using a gazillion LEGO. Indeed, the Internet seems to be teeming with hey-look-at-what-I-did-with-LEGO-type projects, but this one seemed noteworthy. In celebrating the 50th anniversary of the iconic building blocks being introduced into Japan, LEGO’s Japanese subsidiary sponsored a cross-country workshop in which over 5000 people in 6 different regions collaborated to create a gigantic map of Japan.The pieces that were assembled at each site then traveled to Tokyo, where they were put on display for one massive LEGO map.

Dubbed “Build Up Japan,” the event – rather than recreating existing landmarks – encouraged kids to picture what they want Japan to look like, and to create imaginary structures. The future of Japan was, quite literally, in their hands. And the kids delivered.

The festivities took place during March and April of this year.

LEGO Japan: Build Up Japan LEGOsta.jp

Video on: YouTube.com

Pictures on the site: Spoon-tamago.com

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO Planning to build LEGOLAND in Nagoya, Japan 2015
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:45:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO Planning to build LEGOLAND in Nagoya

NAGOYA (Kyodo) -- Merlin Entertainments Group Ltd., the British operator of the LEGOLAND theme parks, said Friday it will enter into negotiations with the Nagoya municipal government to build Japan’s first LEGOLAND in the city, with an eye toward opening it in 2015.

Nagoya, while close to both Tokyo and Osaka, has a large population as well as advanced transportation and other infrastructure, John Ussher, Merlin’s general manager of development, said at a press conference at the municipal office, explaining the reasons for the selection of the city as the final candidate location for the park in Japan.

Merlin plans to lease some 10 hectares of land on the Kinjo Pier in Nagoya, which are owned by the city government and the Nagoya Port Authority.

LEGOLAND is a chain of theme parks based on construction toys manufactured by the LEGO Group of Denmark. They are primarily marketed to young families.

At present, there are a total of five LEGOLAND parks in Denmark, Britain, the United States(2 parks) and Germany.

(Mainichi Japan) October 28, 2011

Mainichi.jp

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO activities at Worldcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:05:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’ll be traveling to Japan to contribute (loan) LEGO bricks and expertise to the 65th World Science Fiction Convention “Nippon 2007”, the first Worldcon held in Asia, happening in Yokohama on Thu 30 Aug to Mon 3 Sep 2007. Although it’s a membership-driven event, parts of the con will be open to the public. I’ll be reporting on my blog, possibly daily.

I’ve managed to pack a decent parts and colors selection into a single large rolling suitcase, so long as attendees limit themselves to Xpod-sized models -- no SHIPs at this event. I’m not yet sure what activities or where -- possibly just an open build, or maybe impromptu QuikWars sessions -- but it’ll be fun finding out.

Not too many prefabbed MOCs, though. Gotta optimize luggage volume somehow.

Although LEGO bricks have appeared at at least two “regional” SF cons in the US (Balticon and Philcon), this may be the first time they’ve done so at a Worldcon. And although Japanese LEGO fans certainly exist (sometimes called “JFOLs”), it’s a bit tricky for Western AFOLs to meet or communicate with them. For instance, I have no idea if any JFOLs will coincidentally be attending -- my efforts at email outreach were disappointing. Hopefully this convention will help bring the two camps closer together.

I may also find out what LEGO Retail looks like in Japan, since I’ll be visiting Narita, Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe in addition to Yokohama. (There’s a “Click Brick” store in the mall near the Pacifico Yokohama convention center.) Watch this space for reports.

Subject:
JR C58-363 Paleo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:22:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

BS (when modded)

Flickr

Hi all,

After reading Ben’s article about building steam trains I decided to try out my new BBB wheels and build one in real life (thus making sure it could run around curves). I’d seen a few Japanese steamers in my searches so decided to try one of them: the C58-363 Paleo Express.

Please let me know what you think and please feel free to offer any criticisms and suggestions you feel like. I’m still a bit unsteady on my feet with steam greebling so advice in that area would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

PS. If I don’t respond, my apologies. I’ll be on holidays for the next week and don’t know if I’ll have internet access.

Subject:
LEGO documentary on TV this Saturday (Hong Kong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.loc.tw, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:42:08 GMT

Hi, everyone...

A documentary called “Lovemarks-LEGO” will be broadcast for the first time this weekend. I was originally told it was going to be a full-length film about people’s passions towards brands like LEGO, IKEA, Starbucks (etc), but it seems it has been shortened to a half hour and will deal only with LEGO. (Maybe?)

Lovemarks - LEGO
Channel 51, Horizon
Saturday September 30th
8:30 p.m. (20:30)
Hong Kong

The documentary was filmed by Fuji TV in Hong Kong, but it may also run in other countries that have Fuji TV, or on extended satellite networks.

Last year, the filmmakers filmed a live model-build and interviewed both Nathan Sawaya and I as part of the documentary. They said they’d also interviewed other folks around the world, including folks from TLG.

Sean
- - -
LEGO Certified Professional
www.seankenney.com