 Local / Zhong Guo / * (-5)
Subject:
LEGO documentary on TV this Saturday (Hong Kong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.loc.tw, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:42:08 GMT

Hi, everyone...

A documentary called “Lovemarks-LEGO” will be broadcast for the first time this weekend. I was originally told it was going to be a full-length film about people’s passions towards brands like LEGO, IKEA, Starbucks (etc), but it seems it has been shortened to a half hour and will deal only with LEGO. (Maybe?)

Lovemarks - LEGO
Channel 51, Horizon
Saturday September 30th
8:30 p.m. (20:30)
Hong Kong

The documentary was filmed by Fuji TV in Hong Kong, but it may also run in other countries that have Fuji TV, or on extended satellite networks.

Last year, the filmmakers filmed a live model-build and interviewed both Nathan Sawaya and I as part of the documentary. They said they’d also interviewed other folks around the world, including folks from TLG.

Sean
- - -
LEGO Certified Professional
www.seankenney.com

Re: LEGO in Hong Kong and China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:21:12 GMT

There are many store to sell LEGO sets in Shanghai, I just went to there
last October, I bought two 6520 in 50% discount, but in fact this price is
similar with price in USA.
Then 9747 is about CNY2,888.

Zhengrong

--------------
RCX Controlled LEGO Train Projects
http://legochina.virtualave.net

In lugnet.loc.hk, Ka-On Lee writes:
I visited Hong Kong and China recently.  I visited many stores that sell toys
and here is what I found:

Hong Kong

Only large department stores and Toys'R'Us sell LEGO.  Most store have very
nice display of completed sets, and they usually have multiple display shelves.
Sets are released as quick as other places, and Harry Potter sets are available
at the beginning of October.  However, their MSRP prices are about 50% higher
than our MSRP prices here in North America.  I guess their idea is sell less
with high profit margine.

China

I did not see any LEGO there.  I only visited a few stores, but all I see are
Best Lock and bootlegs.  Here is a photo I toke without asking for permission:

As you can see most sets are direct copy of original LEGO sets.  They have sets
like 6263 and 6046 for 40 yuan, or about US$5.  They also have many smaller
sets, plus original designs.  The plastic quality appears to be pretty poor.
As far as I can tell, 99% of the toys in that department store are bootleg
stuff.

This bootleg problem is suppose to cause Disney to chose Hong Kong instead of
Shang Hai to build the new Disney Land.

Re: Is there any Lego Penetration in China?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:20:12 GMT

There are many big shops sell LEGO products including RIS1.5 and many Technic
sets, for example 8462, even 8479 before February this year in Shanghai. You
can find the prices of some sets in my page
http://go.163.com/~legozang/bricks.html

Zhengrong

In lugnet.loc.cn, Scott Javoroski writes:
In lugnet.loc.cn, Jamie Obrien writes:
Has TLG ever made any attempt to go into China? Locally Bundaberg has been
looking at exporting Primary Industry Products direct (mainly to the Free
Trade Zones in the south) but it seems to be a pretty big success, so i'd
guess with something like Lego there would be a massive opportunity awaiting.
The only down side is the one child policy, but this could also work in TLGs
favour as Parents tend to do whatever they can for their children.

Has/Is anybody dealing with people in China At the moment?

Cheerio
JamieO

I'm not sure about companies getting the LEGO into China, I did see quite a • bit
of it in Hong Kong however, and while I never saw LEGO(tm) per se, I did see
children playing with blocks that very well could have been LEGO in Shanghai.
There are still issues between PRC and Hong Kong SAR, but I would think that
over the next few years, barring a war with Taiwan, China would open up more
towards imports.

Re: Is there any Lego Penetration in China?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:49:34 GMT

[...]