 Local / Hong Kong / 6
Re: LEGO in Hong Kong and China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:21:12 GMT

There are many store to sell LEGO sets in Shanghai, I just went to there
last October, I bought two 6520 in 50% discount, but in fact this price is
similar with price in USA.
Then 9747 is about CNY2,888.

Zhengrong

--------------
RCX Controlled LEGO Train Projects
http://legochina.virtualave.net

In lugnet.loc.hk, Ka-On Lee writes:
I visited Hong Kong and China recently.  I visited many stores that sell toys
and here is what I found:

Hong Kong

Only large department stores and Toys'R'Us sell LEGO.  Most store have very
nice display of completed sets, and they usually have multiple display shelves.
Sets are released as quick as other places, and Harry Potter sets are available
at the beginning of October.  However, their MSRP prices are about 50% higher
than our MSRP prices here in North America.  I guess their idea is sell less
with high profit margine.

China

I did not see any LEGO there.  I only visited a few stores, but all I see are
Best Lock and bootlegs.  Here is a photo I toke without asking for permission:

As you can see most sets are direct copy of original LEGO sets.  They have sets
like 6263 and 6046 for 40 yuan, or about US$5.  They also have many smaller
sets, plus original designs.  The plastic quality appears to be pretty poor.
As far as I can tell, 99% of the toys in that department store are bootleg
stuff.

This bootleg problem is suppose to cause Disney to chose Hong Kong instead of
Shang Hai to build the new Disney Land.