 Local / Australia / Queensland / Brisbane / * (-5)
Subject:
Model Rail Show at Ipswich Workshops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:30:48 GMT

Is anyone going?  Post plenty of pics if possible please.

Subject:
Brisbane Lego Train Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 07:08:18 GMT

Brisbane Lego Train Group

I’ve been asked by the members of the Brisbane Lego Train Group to make regular
reports on our activities on Lugnet, as was done previously, many years ago. So
in response I submit the following report.

On Sunday 18th May, the Train group meet for its regular bi-monthly meeting, at
the clubhouse situated at the Ipswich Workshops Rail Museum. We were asked by
the club to have everything operational and set-up for the Society of Engineers
who had a day out visiting the museum, and viewing our layout was to be part of
their itinerary.

Although not completely set-up, we were able to have sections of the layout on
display and trains running, I think the engineers left impressed. No doubt we
will be seeing some Lego influences appearing in future engineering designs,
especially if their kids have any say in it!

We had a good turnout of members and a welcome appearance to David Parkin who
was also able to attend. David ran his Blue A7 steamer and quickly discovered
the QLD loading gauge was a bit different to the NSW loading gauge, a classic
case of history repeating itself. This though was not a major dilemma as moving
mountains in not an impossibility when it comes to Lego landscapes. We welcome
you to the club David and look forward to many enjoyable years of involvement.

Neil & Geordie started their preliminary work on a coal mine and coal loader
diorama they wish to build, this is a big project and with the assistance of
Mark, and his 100’s of burps, a plan was in the making, watch this space. Mark
also continued on with the task of painting the club room which is much
appreciated by all the club members, good job Mark.

There was some discussion about upcoming events in the Brisbane region and the
2009 Australian Model Railway Convention, some details of which can be found
here.

http://www.theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au/exhibitions/events/amrc.asp,

We will be having a display set-up at the convention and I’ll pass on more
details when they come to hand. Our next Lego display, which will be in
September, is currently being organised by Ken and Colin, the Lego groups show
co-ordinators.

The Lego Train layout at the Ipswich Workshops Rail Museum is still in the
setting up stage, but we can run trains and a monorail. It is a work in progress
and probably will be for a few more months and possibly longer, as is the case
when train layouts that are set-up permanently in a clubhouse. So if you’re
interested to have a look at the work in progress then your quite welcome to
visit. Our next meeting will be on Saturday 7th of June. If you would like to
attend we are usually set-up for viewing by 10.30 am and finish by about 3.30pm.
Email me for details if needed.

That’s all for this months report, I’ll attepmt to post a report each month on
the latest activities from Brisbane Lego Train Group, IHMRC

Gary
Group Leader
Brisbane Lego Train Group
IHMRC

Subject:
BLTBC presents - "Big Green"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:48:55 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

BS

Hi all,

Brisbane LEGO Tank Builder’s Club (BLTBC) had a couple of meetings together and came up with this collaborative project. It’s the Litoria Fallax also known as “Big Green”. You probably wouldn’t want to meet it in a darkened rainforest.

Comments and crits welcome,

Tim

Re: Brislug Meeting, Febuary 2008 - on behalf of Aaron Andrews
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:49:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, Aaron Andrews wrote:

You can see examples of my work on...

Brickshelf - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DARKspawn
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkspawn

Cheers
Aaron Andrews
Community Member, if only in my own mind

Wow Aaron, when Kerry said in another post about the quality of your castle work
I followed your link and was amazed.  Your work is brilliant.  Your bathroom is
so perfectly detailed, I love castle interiors.  Also your medieval observatory,
the use of 1x1 rounds looks smashing.

I really love your work, I wish I had been able to make the last meeting to see
some of your work up close.

Cheers

Anita

Re: Brislug Meeting, Febuary 2008 - on behalf of Aaron Andrews
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:36:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, Peter Parsons wrote:
Well Well
what a strange way to organise a BRISLUG get together??
Normally every one has everyones Email and sends out an invitation as we don't
all spent our hours of leasure time on LUGNET.

As a matter of fact I can't even remember seeing this guy (Aaron) at any of the
last regular meets.
When did we meet you and invite you to BRISLUG as a member??
How many showed up 3??
Perhaps if you want to organise a meet you should go about it the old way and
email all members to gauge a suitable date and venue. When you have the answers
you then let it be known on LUGNET so that non members know it is on.

Mate we have had some fantastic meets in the past (almost 10 years if my memory
is right) when we had up in the 15 people area (when they are done right not
just out of the blue)

I can even name some who where at the very first meeting at Mark Harrison's
place many many years ago when we where called BUGS.

Tim was there, so was Mel (now in Germany), Gary was thereI think Kerry missed
that one, I think Ken Wilson was at that one, Tarra was at that one too.First
time I met Aaron Coghill from the South Coast. Tim has only just come home from
England so a lot of water passed under BRISLUG bridges since he was at any,
perhaps he should refresh his original contact list before he left it certainly
would have helped you.

Your enthusiam is good you just need to plan better.
Remember an old saying that I picked up in the "Green Machine"
"Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Hope this may help you
A find out all the right contacts
B organise a meet much better and with heaps of people.

Cheers
Peter Parsons
LUGNET No 348
Member of BRISLUG
Founding Member of BLTG (Brisbane Lego Train Group)

Hi Peter,

I appologise if I've stepped on any toes or bruised any egos.

I am a very active member of the online community, in varying capacities, &
quite well known (online) as a  result - not to blow my own horn, & I won't
bother you with details.  But I only became active in the community around
September 2006, about the same time I started searching for LEGO Users' Groups
in my local area.

My search quickly lead me here, where I signed up on the mailing list, & like
any good newbie sat back & waited for something to happen.  & waited...  &
waited some more...

As far as myself, LUGnet, & Google.com was concerned this was the only place
where BrisLUG existed, I couldn't find any over avenues to pursue & if there
were (which obviously by the serious & discouraging tone of your original post
there must be)they were not easily accessable or publicised.

Finally Al posted up an invite to a "BrisLUG" meet (in Novermber 2006 I think) &
I replied & introduced myself - still very green - & asked if I could come
along.  Unfortunetly & didn't make the meet out of a combination of lack of baby
sitter for my then 2 year old & the fact I was a little freaked out by the
unknowns I was about to confront!  I really regret not going now...

So I sat out another 12 months of apparent inactivity, but still really wanted
to get involved in the local community, so after a little contact with Tim
online (& without his consultation), I decided this year to make the first step
& offer my place & a time to meet.  After seeing that only 5-6 people showed up
to Al's & after chatting with Tim I figured that an informal approach might be
best at first, & give me an oppertunity to sound out the community.

I learnt alot from Kerry & the guys that day about our local community.  I was
also assured that there was no official list of members in BrisLUG & this
confirmed all my previous observations.

However, I would love to participate & I am sure I can contribute to town
layouts & other distractions beyond, yet, supporting the train theme - although
my interests stretch to nearly all LEGO themes.  Tim Gould & myself have been
discussing doing a co-opertive effort on a diorama for some time now.

So I would appreciate being schooled in the "correct" process to how I am to
firstly contact, then obtain membership & become incolved in our local
communtiy.

You can see examples of my work on...

Brickshelf - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DARKspawn
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkspawn

Cheers
Aaron Andrews
Community Member, if only in my own mind

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact