 Local / Australia / 8195
Re: LEGO set design query
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.western, lugnet.town, lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:22:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

I don't know if anyone else has asked this in the past, but I was curious if
anyone has an explanation as to why LEGO seem to add prison/jails to such a
large percentage of lego sets?

Because kids like to play "good guy / bad guy" games (cops and robbers,
cowboys and indians, etc) and locking people up is part of that game's
scenario. The bad guy locks up the good guy as part of the evil plan, and the
good guy escapes, and the bad guy gets locked in the end for all the naughty
things he did.

And then the bad guy can escape to start the cycle again...

So, it's just about playability for kids.

Right, and IIRC sets with a prison cell also include an opposition character
to lock up in it.

Hmmmm interestingly, King Leo's castle missed out on a cell (though it did
get the axe trap). How odd.

However, I agree that as adults we are probably all awash with jail doors. I
was looking at my collection the other day and was debating whether I should
build Alcatraz.

Cheers

Richie