 Local / Australia / 2425
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:02:01 GMT

In lugnet.football, Todd Lehman writes:
OK, hmm, so, OK, can we back up a bit?  So, what you're saying (taking both
of your posts into account) is that:

1.  The official name of the LEGO product line in Australia is "LEGO Football"
   and not "LEGO Soccer," and

Yes.

2.  Australians call the sport "Soccer" and use the word "Football" for
   something else, possibly Rugby.

Yup, it's soccer.  Football possibly refers to Rugby in some parts of Aus,
but generally football refers to AFL which is a different game altogether.

Is that correct?  In other words, did LEGO name the product line incorrectly
w.r.t. Australian conventions when referring to the sport?

Yes, but I don't think Lego Australia think for themselves in matters such
as this, they are just following what Lego out of Europe tells them and
hence follow the European naming convention.  They don't even correct
references to seasons in the catalogs!  Dinosaur Island is coming "after
summer" i.e. now and it is most definitely winter in this part of the
world!

Does anyone know if -- anywhere in the world -- the official LEGO product line
for this is called "LEGO Futbol"?

p.s.  The 2000 LEGO Football/Soccer sets rock!!!

I think they're great too and I'm not even much of a sports fan :)

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com