 Sports / 6
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 07:13:46 GMT

In lugnet.football, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
Just to be picky, we Australians also call it soccer.  [...]

Oh!  OK, I'll fix that on the webpage.  OK, added the word "most" and now it
says this:

   ("Soccer" is the U.S. name for what is called "Football" most everywhere
   else in the world.)

That's what I've heard for years and years, anyhow.  What's it called in the
UK and Canada and other non-U.S. English-speaking countries?

Of course, the most official name for the theme is still Football (right?)
because that's what the name is in the European markets.  (Just like Slizer
vs. ThrowBots, Competition vs. CyberSlam, Western vs. Wild West, etc.)

--Todd