 Local / Australia / 10374
Re: 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:52:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
I'm rather disappointed with the construction method, which is both flimsy
(the top levels just sit on top rather than connect) and also uses magnets
to keep the panels on - the latter being a bad point in my book. The whole
thing is very hard to pick up without risking the collapse of the panelled
underside. Fortunately as a display piece this isn't hugely relevant, but
it's still annoying.

Flimsy indeed. Mine kept breaking apart as I tried to assemble it. Much cursing
and swearing was required. Finally when I had just got the thing finished, I
sat back exhausted and then my cat walked past, put her paw onto the side of
it, and it fell over sidewise and collapsed into many chunks. I finally rebuilt
it today (more cursing and swearing).

Having now seen this in the ABS (thanks, Kerry!), I can vouch for it's
fragility. It fell apart even as I watched...

The wide expanses of grey plates are stunning, but also very wobbly. Another
layer of plates (or technic beams or something) would be needed to keep the
plates straight. The model also provides very few lift points making moving
it for display purposes - let alone swooshing - very difficult.

It must be the most fragile official model ever, by a large margin (The
Sopwith Camel is probably the next closest I've seen, but is built like a
brick outhouse when compared to the Natasha).

Hmmm... any other contenders for most fragile official model ever?).

Cheers

Richie