 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1467
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:12:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Timm writes:

Where has it been said that the pitchfork mold is gone?  We won't know
until we ask if any certain mold still exist or not.  I would think
that the pitchfork mold is more likely than some to be around (I hope
anyways) as they were is less sets than the classic space helmets or
the classic window molds....

Even if the molds for some of the parts we want still exist,
they may be useless.  LEGO has changed the composition of
its plastics many times over the years (I'm going back to
the 50's here).  The newer compounds in use today may be
incompatible with the old molds for a variety of reasons.
Also, the machines that use the molds have also changed
dramatically.  New molds are probably required anyhow.  At
the very least, if old molds exist and can be retrofit
to current technology, they will be exceptionally expensive
to operate.

The only value that the old molds may hold would be in
the "data".  If no drawings are on file for a particular
element, but the old mold exists, then it could be
reverse engineered to recreate the part in CAD (real
engineering CAD, not our LEGO CADs).  From there they
could make new tooling (molds).

Either way, we've got to accept that making older parts
may not be as cheap as current ones.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada