 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1281

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts - web design issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 05:02:38 GMT

Suzanne D. Rich wrote in message ...
There's a new TLC press release at:
here's the good stuff:
  http://www.lego.com/press/

Great stuff!

But the way they implement their press releases is just WEIRD. All the video
and hi-res pictures are zipped (and of course since the original file
formats are already compressed, they only get about 5 or 6% compression) so
you have to download the zip, unzip it, and then open the file you're trying
to get at. Not only that, but once you click on the link to download the
file, the original web page goes away completely so you can't go back to
where you were!

Kevin

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts - web design issues
But the way they implement their press releases is just WEIRD. All the video
and hi-res pictures are zipped (and of course since the original file
formats are already compressed, they only get about 5 or 6% compression) so
you have to download the zip, unzip it, and then open the file you're trying
to get at.

Indeed...   I don't know if I'm alone here, but the zip files are
corrupted and won't decompress fully. I'm using a Mac, and LEGO hasn't
been very friendly to Mac-users in the past, so maybe everything's just
normal... <shrugs...>

Not only that, but once you click on the link to download the
file, the original web page goes away completely so you can't go back to
where you were!

Odd... on the Mac, the file just downloads itself... the webpage
doesn't go away...  =)

C.

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts - web design issues
Indeed...   I don't know if I'm alone here, but the zip files are
corrupted and won't decompress fully. I'm using a Mac, and LEGO hasn't
been very friendly to Mac-users in the past, so maybe everything's just
normal... <shrugs...>

The zip files are OK for me... I just object to the pointless extra step.

Kevin

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts - web design issues
Indeed...   I don't know if I'm alone here, but the zip files are
corrupted and won't decompress fully. I'm using a Mac, and LEGO hasn't
been very friendly to Mac-users in the past, so maybe everything's just
normal... <shrugs...>

Well, they appear on the desktop as a Simpletext document, but if you drag
the doc on top of your Quicktime Player icon, it will open and you can watch
the movie.

HTH

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego

Mark Sandlin wrote:

Well, they appear on the desktop as a Simpletext document, but if you drag
the doc on top of your Quicktime Player icon, it will open and you can watch
the movie.

Stuffit is the culprit... it's claiming the ZIP files are corrupted...
Oh well... If LEGO wants me to watch their little movies, then they can
post them online like everyone else does...

The days of downloading a movie to your drive to watch it
*are*over*!!!...

C.