 LEGO Company / 810
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:44:55 GMT

Boo! Hiss.....By discontinuing existing colors, TLC seems to be shooting itself in the foot (again). Noting the rather large monetary losses shown by TLC last year I have to wonder if this is simply another “focusing on the wrong things”

Sounds like a “new Coke” type of marketing move. Oooh....more losses. Change colors! Focus on the real issues guys. Too many of the newer sets are expensive, and not that “interesting” so they don’t sell as well. Is anyone really looking at what kind of gray sells better? My kids (and their friends) LOVE Legos but other than my kids, few others really have a large enough “critical mass” of pieces to really have fun. Why? Cost. Parents tend to balk at the cost of the really “cool” elaborate sets that have tons of parts. But ironically, I suspect that TLC doesn’t make that much in spite of the prices charged.

I buy an amazing amount of stuff marked down - often absurdly low. I suspect TLC’d make more money if they didn’t have vendors dumping slow selling stuff at whatever price they can get. Of course there’s a ton of DAMAGED PACKAGING sets as well (another real problem of late).

My youngest is still enamored of “classic castle” - hmmmm haven’t seen any of those sets lately what with the (expensive to license) Harry Potter stuff. Have gotten a bunch of those marked down.

Being vested in a large (both in a $ and volume sense) collection of parts I think it’s simply dumb. I expect all TLC has done is create a future booming market on eBay and elsewhere for “old” grays.

New colors are cool - they open up the pallet but I have an absurd number of gray pieces (regular, castle, technic) that pretty much matched each other - no matter how old (yes, there might be some yellowing on the 20year old stuff).That’s one of the things I liked - and what gave the product real value. The consistency.

BTW, whatever happened to “build what you want” online and order the parts??? And while bulk parts are nice, a few “odd” numbered bricks might be nice - especially 1x1 bricks - ever build a castle without them????lol How about a revival of the bulk tubs (the 1200 piece ones in grays, black and browns)?

But then what does my opinion matter.....I’ve only got a (literallly) cubic meter or so of Lego pieces - and that doesn’t even include the Technic and Robotics stuff.