 LEGO Company / 796
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:44:11 GMT

Surely one of the main values of a construction toy is that more bricks can
be added over time to create new models. This is why I cannot understand why
the LEGO company is removing the colour compatibility of new sets with old.

The changes are particularly upsetting because they have been made to three
of my favourite and most valuable colours. These are three basic colours
that appear across all LEGO themes and for life-like models, these "natural"
tones are fantastic. The new colours are similar enough to cause sorting
headaches but different enough to not be interchangeable with the old ones.

I don't think introducing new colours is a bad thing in itself, but
replacing old favourites and making a large proportion of my collection
obsolete is very painful. It has taken me a long time and a lot of money to
collect the bricks that I have, and I am gutted that I will no longer be
able to add to my collection of these basic colours by buying new LEGO sets.
It also means that I will never be able to get any new elements in the old
greys or brown or old elements in the new colours.

I am also concerned that halfway through a theme the bricks change colour.
It seems incredible that, for example, in the Harry Potter theme, any new
sets will not match the ones that already exist. Having marketed the HP sets
with the option of collecting to build the modular "Ultimate Hogwarts", it
feels very wrong that new sets won't match - I think there will be many
confused and disappointed kids as well as us adult fans.

Much as I love the LEGO Company and will always play with its bricks, my
opinion has definitely been soured by these changes. It does feel as if the
company does not care at all about the collections of loyal children and
adults around the world. LEGO has long been a trusted brand, but certainly
for me that trust has significantly deteriorated.

Mags McHardy