 LEGO Company / 758
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:54:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against. One post per person, I would think would make sense. I would ask that the debate be restricted to other threads, and that all posts be rational, calm, and non-hateful. This will ensure that I can more easily pass along the information, and that the message isn’t bogged down in debate.

Hmm. Well, let’s pretend for a minute that I haven’t had much time to read Lugnet posts for about six months, and let’s pretend, just pretend, that I might have missed all the hub-bub that might have led to your recent posts, and let’s say that hypothetically I haven’t bought any 2004 sets yet to experience any color changes, and let’s also say that my theoretical-self also doesn’t have the time to read all of the responses to this thread to make sense of it. Given all this pretending, then what excatly is it that we’re talking about?

Heehee! That was fun writing! ...Seriously though, I get that there are color changes going on. My first question, before I can answer yours, is which colors are changing? Is it just the shade of gray we are used to being replaced with a new shade of gray? Or are other colors affected?

Gray was actually a new thing when I started collecting. And the things I usually build with gray (stone castles, metal spaceships, dirt moonscapes) would actually benefit from a variety of shades of gray. True, I will miss not being able to have more of the old stuff. But I can probably live with it.

However, if it is not just gray, then I might have concerns. What are the primary colors again? Red, yellow, and blue? Each of these have always been available (in my years of experience) in a specific, classic, and brilliant tone that is quintessential to its color. Any variant for one of these three would be an off-tone that not only would not match my current supply, but would break from the classic “core business” philosophy that TLC executives have been claiming to want to “get back to” for at least two years now (no, the recent press release was not the first time such claims were made). Similarly, black and white are absolutes (well, they should be even if the fashion industry says otherwise). If black or white were changed, we would just get more variants of gray.

So in review: I am basing my opinions based on a lot of assumptions about your question. If my assupmtions are correct, changing gray is okay. Changing red, yellow, blue, black, or white would be bad. All the other colors I can think of have not been around long enough or not been around in large enough supply for a change to greatly affect me.

One more thought: The real big problem is when too many colors are offered. In recent years, I have picked up some sets (such as from LoM and SW) that provided many pieces in a color I wanted, but I ended up with a bin full of odd pastels and off-shades of which I don’t have enough to do much with. The number of colors in my odd-bin has grown considerably over the past year, but the number of parts of any one color therein has not. The problem here is that if sets come with too many colors, it becomes harder for a builder (especially a young builder who is the “core” audience) to collect enough of any single color. Only by collecting more of a single color or two or three can a builder really branch out to building larger models or larger layouts of smaller models.

An attempt at an example: When I was in my teens I fell in love with a certain series of sets that offered little more than black and yellow pieces. In buying just a few, I was able to build an army of Blacktron forces for a fun lunar layout. But if the sets were half made of a variety of colors, my army would have been half the size.

Of course, this latter issue is a digression from the topic, and one I just decided to add in here since the forum seems open. :)

Somehow, in the end I am sure I will keep buying no matter what comes of this (or no matter what it is). The question will be, will I be doing more buying from S@H or more from BrickLink?

Well, that’s my two bricks. Thanks for asking! :)

-Hendo