 LEGO Company / 756
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:00:46 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

There have been a lot of posts to this thread already. I won’t repeat the many different reasons given why this color change has personal negative impact to folks, except to say that I agree with them all as valid. I will be personally negatively impacted in just about every way mentioned (building, sorting, curb appeal of models, etc, etc, etc), and I wish the color change hadn’t happened.

But it did.

I wish LEGO would change them back.

But they probably won’t.

Now, if you look back over the years at my posts regarding the company, you’ll see that I tend to say “they did X for business reasons”, “they’re running a business here”, “what are the numbers for that” and on and on and on.

I may not have liked Bionicle etc but I could see why, from a numbers perspective. it made sense. Regardless of whether we are 1% or 2% or 10%, it made sense, because the mundanes wanted it, and wanted it bad. Witness the sales figures bandied about.

What has me totally baffled here is that I can’t fathom how this particular change could have been analysed as a good idea by anyone. Ahui said it nicely... this change may well be an HBR case study some day on what not to do when thinking about product changes.

I would love to see the business case for it, as I expect I’d be able to pick many many holes in it quite easily. (business cases are something I do deal with on a more infrequent basis recently than back when I was at CTP, but I still know them well)

I know I’ll never see it though, that’s just the way it is... but nevertheless, I am sure that the gain in sales due to brighter, more aligned grays, (if any!!!!), is going to be way offset by the increase in complaints and loss of sales from the mundanes.

We all (well, many of us) are making noise about how this is going to change our buying habits. And that may be true enough but it’s not the big number in the negative business case I’ve built up in my head. The bigger number is the loss of enthusiasm that we may be about to experience. A year from now if we aren’t doing as many shows, aren’t talking up the product as much, aren’t defending it when we’re in the aisles and the mundanes are making product decisions, that’s the bigger number. I think our influence on others is worth more to the company than our direct sales.

But even that, bad as it is, isn’t the biggest number. The biggest number will, I think, come from the mundanes themselves without any positive or negative influence necessary from us. I just don’t think they are as undiscerning as the marketroids that came up with this change think they are. They are going to realise something is wrong, not be able to put their finger on exactly what, and they will return product or just not buy it at all. I think that’s going to be true even if every one of us tried to defend the decision to them every chance we got, out there in the trenches. (er, aisles)

And THAT’s what is going to cost LEGO a lot, I think. Returns are not cheap, they can cost a company more than the margin on several sales of the returned item, not even considering the knockon effect of lost orders when Target and WalMart decide that the extra return rate is impacting their margin and the lost sales are impacting their turn rate so they better scale their buys back.

This decision has seriously shaken my faith in the middle management team at LEGO.

It is just such an irrational decision, in my view. No amount of spin about color brightening or consumer focus groups holds any water with me. Someone somewhere messed up and now the company is in a corner and can’t change back without blowing even MORE money than they blew on the change in the first place. (think about the horrific cost that would be entailed in changing back)

And that’s the saddest thing... LEGO have made a really dumb decision at a time when they need to be smart. Really smart.