 LEGO Company / 749
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:53:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, I suppose we can attempt to be civil about this... :o)

After hearing about it initially I was not too concerned, “How far off the beaten path of the color palate would LEGO stray?” I thought. Very far was my answer.

I purchased the Mos Eisley Cantina and all four of the 2004 Star Wars Mini sets only to find that blue had been heavily added to the grays, and red was apparent in the brown. Heresy!!! Blasphemey!!! The three colors most affected by the change are my most cherished earth tones, treasured for the muted tones of stone, steel and earth that they represent. I could not stand them and was quite upset that LEGO would change things that drasticly.

The colors of antiquity-2003 represent a significant focus of my collection, spanning 400,000 bricks (estimated using LUGNET set database and personal inventory). I feel that I have a large collection that I always seem to find need for more parts to accent creations, or just make them bigger. You can never have enough gray. That is a fact.

The new colors are not bad in and of themselves, but what I dislike STRONGLY is that now after the Great Clearance Sales of Jan. 2004, I will be hard pressed to add to my uniformity of Light Gray, Dark Gray and Brown. What I have is what I have, no more will be possible. I will have to spend an arm and a leg on the various online sites offering classic product if I want any more.

I don’t have a lot of the new colors but here is my primary interest in using them; they will be used to accent and break up any designs I create. I doubt that I will collect an equal amount of the new colors, and may scale back collecting. I can use them and work them into a design, but the will not replace the classic color pieces I own. They will be part of a separated set of colors, like orange and teal. They therefore will not become a primary construction color.

They are nice, those new colors, but they are NOT Light Gray, Dark Gray or Brown. They are instead Light Blue Gray, Dark Blue Gray and Reddish Brown. I don’t know of any owner of paints, Crayola Crayons, or any other pigmentation art supplies that would call each color the same, even though clearly different. LEGO is restructuring the rules of coloration, and expecting children to ignore it or “deal” with the false representation. Is that what we are trying to educate our children to? Whatever a company says is true is more important than actual truth? These colors are not replacements, they are NEW colors. The originals have been killed.

I am not weatlthy enough to make my own, so I am limited to buying what is available. I could conceivable stop buying LEGO altogether, some would say 400,000 bricks is good enough. They may be right, but I’d still like to integrate new parts into my building. Even the colors in question of the classic pigment. Alas, for I cannot.

I do not harbor any hatred or dislike, just pure confussion and sadness.

I feel limited by this change. That is the heart of my discontent. LEGO has never limited me before. Now it is imposed by force without thought. I guess that is why it feels so much like a betrayal, rather than a marketing move.

I think that after a while we’ll all feel somewhat like post-war survivors, remembering fondly a time gone by of when things were different. We will get along, we will survive, but something will always be sweet about the way things were before. I’m sure we will all be able to cope and even accept this change. It just came as a shock.

I hope that helps explain things about how we feel.

Play well,

:o)

Aaron F. West #279