 LEGO Company / 747
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:23:11 GMT

The main reasons i do not like this color change:

1. They don’t match the old ones.

2. When mixed, the old ones look like degradaded with time. The old light grey seem too much yellowed and i hate yellowed parts. (see this post: http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=681)

3. Storing will (would, as matter of fact) be a head & eyes ache. Count me out on that.

4. The reasons announced for this color change are ridiculous, to say the least. Is anyone buying that? Really?! This measure has obviously a cost-cutting reason. If the reason was to increase sales there would be a lot of publicity. The new sets don’t even mention it...

5. The end of producing a color is a terrible thing to happen to any sufficiently large lego collection. I’ve always collected lego, keeping in mind that i could add new *matching* elements to that collection in the future. I had so many MOCs in my plans that now are ruined...

6. What is the point of Legends now?

7. I do not intend to reinvest on the new colors until i have more bricks of these than i have of the old ones (1).That would be bank rupting. Therefore i do not intend to buy lego with new shades of grays and brown. Maybe this is a good oportunity for me to stop buying lego at all. If you look at my invoice page for the last two years, you will understand what i’m talking about here.

8. Furthermore, how do we know from now on what is the color of a set. I must remind you that i sent an e-mail to Lego Service asking about what will be the colors on the new run of set 10000 and didn’t have no answer to date. Very unprofessional, i think.

9. I know TLC is a business company ans has to make money. Neverthless i think that the AFOL comunity should be informed that this measure was to be taken. Maybe we represent 5% of the market, maybe myself am 0.0001% of the market, that doesn’t give no one the right to treat me like a number. That’s what i feel, really. And i’m trying to be nice...

10. Most of all, i lost my trust on TLC. How can i be assured that the geometry of the bricks will not change? How can i be assured that TLC won’t stop producing 1/3 plates and start producing 1/2 ones instead? How can i be assured other colors won’t be reajusted? Look at the white: surely as it is now, it *doesn’t* belong to this new colors pallet; it is my guess that it will be changed soon too. And, guess what, it will look more like the MB white. Much whiter, that is. (wich is a great color by the way but, our collections must be consistent.)

11. Don’t want to be apocalyptic here but i fear that this decision if not reversed will put TLC in serious hard time. I’m not over-reacting here. Can you imagine the quantity of sets i have ‘sold’ at Toys’R’Us. People that were buying MB stuff and i had to explain to them that Lego, despite being a lot more expensive, has a lot more quality? Now, what arguments will i have?

Thanks for your interest and best regards,

Paulo *very upset* Renato

(1) Even if i tried to replace my old color collection with the new colors that would be technically impossible.