 LEGO Company / 745
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:12:13 GMT

I actually LIKE the new colors. But I DON’T WANT them because they’re changing a constant (or so we thought!) in the LEGO universe: light gray (and dark gray). The new colors are not backward-compatible and don’t match older LEGO-products. There you have it: two things that should never ever have ended up together in one sentence: “don’t match” and “LEGO” ...

Will I buy more new 2004 sets? A few of them, yes. But not multiple copies anymore. I simply do not wish to spend lots of cash on pieces I cannot use on MOCs for years to come. Bricklink and the 2nd hand-market will have to still my needs until (after a couple of years) the new colors are common enough to allow me to switch over and have a large variety of shapes availible.

Of course, I hope LEGO is up for another tough decision and undoes the color change: Could reversing a bad and incredibly stupid move possibly be harder than getting rid of Mr. Plougmann and all those non-basic LEGO product lines?

Jake, please do your best, bang several heads if you have to! ;)

Finally, here’s a suggestion for a banner to put up at your next staff meeting:

“IF IT AIN’T BROKEN, DON’T FIX IT!”

(Just for the record: a color that has been around for decades is most definitely NOT broken)

And if, at one of the staff meetings, marketing guys are trying to tell you Star Wars set sales recently have dropped like a dead fly just because there is no new movie out this year, please bang their heads especially hard.