 LEGO Company / 726
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:54:34 GMT

Jake & All,

Thanks for the opportunity to give you some feedback. I know this is a delicate
issue, as I have heard from various AFOL's from "Don't buy LEGO products" to
letter campaigns to others, and I have read the responses so far in this thread,
so there are a lot of thoughts circulating.

As for me, I have been collecting LEGO products since I was 4, so I have been a
customer for about 25 years now. My LEGO collection has grown by about 5 times
since I discovered LUGNET back in 1998, and have joined and formed LUG'S and
LTC's. Most of my LEGO projects these days involve large building projects, from
train stations to yards to moonbases. I was rather surprised when I discovered
that the colors were changed.

My Brickshelf folder:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ssanburn

I honestly have mixed thoughts about the color changes, I am disappointed that
some key and useful building colors in multiple themes have been changed. The
new colors such as light gray is all right, the dark gray is pretty bad, and the
brown is just icky. That's my opinion on the color change. As I look at the new
colors in the set I have in my desk, the MINI Imerial Star Destroyer, my thoghts
are still the same.

My biggest concern I have had over the last few years is the inability to get
parts in the newer colors. An example would be the dark red that is used on the
7113, the Tusken Raider Encounter Set. It is hard to use that color since it is
scattered throughout a few sets, and buying multiples of plate slopes to use in
buildings is just silly. Other examples would be lime green, light blue, light
yellow, etc. While I understand the concept of using what you have, it is still
frustrating not to be able to get the parts in the first place.

My thoughts on new colors would not be as harsh if there were standard packs of
parts in each color that TLC produces. Even if a color such as dark gray would
be changed, at least you could have a few packs of parts that would be available
in the new color.

Here are some of my thoughts on these packs:

Bricks

1x pack (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 1x10, 1x12, 1x16)
2x pack (2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12)

Plates
1x - 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 1x10, 1x12
2x - 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12, 2x16

Slopes

12D Pack, 33D, 45D, etc.

Tiles

1x pack
2x pack

Curved Parts

etc.

I have heard that it is hard to produce many sets anymore, since the limitations
of the UPC codes, but prehaps if TLC starts to ferret out unprofitable parts of
their business, maybe some of these can be made.

That is what I am hopeful for. Otherwise, I will live with the color changes,
but will not feel as compelled to buy a large number of newer sets just to get
enough parts of newer colors.

Finally, my thinking on the new grays would be vastly improved if I could get a
2x2 tile pack in either the new or old light or dark gray!!! (Sorry, I ahve to
say it!)

Sincerely,
Scott Sanburn
President, Michiana-LUG http://www.michiana-lug.org