 LEGO Company / 723
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:05:13 GMT

I wasn’t going to get involved with this, as I didn’t want to get caught up in the debates. Thanks for the chance to state an opinion without all the noise.

As a parent, I have to say that the replacing of the colors doesn’t make any sense to me. My daughter have never once said “Daddy, I don’t want to play with those icky colors.” She doesn’t looks for sets because of the colors, she looks for sets that she can play with. She owns most of the Harry Potter sets, which are primarily grey, brown, and tan. Will she notice the color change if I buy her a new set? Probably not. She just wants to play. That’s what kids do.

From my point of view, and again speaking as a parent, if I wasn’t involved with Lugnet, I wouldn’t have been aware of the color change until I had purchased a set. I would have opened up the set, and assumed that there was a quality issue with some of the bricks as they didn’t match the other sets. It probably would have taken me some time, most likely a matter of months, before I realized that it wasn’t a quality issue, but a complete change. So, like others have said, the Marketing explanation doesn’t really make sense, as I wouldn’t have changed my buying habits as a result of the color change. My daughter would still want me to buy sets she could play with, no matter what color grey or brown was in it.

Now, as an AFOL, the color change is just annoying. I have a small collection compared to most here, but it’s still worth a few thousand dollars. Much of that collection is grey. Can I still use them? Absolutely. But how long will it take me to obtain a collection of “new” greys in the same quantity that I have now, so that the larger MOCs that I’ve been thinking about will look nice? At this point, probably a couple of years. I know for sure that the mosaic that I had wanted to build this year will now have to wait indefinately, as it would require several thousand bricks, all of which are either grey, brown, black or white.

So, has the color change affected my buying habits as a parent? Nope.

Has the color change affected my buing habits as an AFOL? Yes.

Others have stated that the AFOL community is 1% or so of the market-share. Given that number, and using me as a sampling (granted it’s a *very* small sampling), Lego has negatively impacted 1% of their market share, and had utterly no effect on the other 99%. Hopefully the color change didn’t cost much, because the return on investment seems pretty low.

-Elroy