 LEGO Company / 704
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:02:31 GMT

I've already addressed why I don't believe the reason given for the
new colors, so I won't get into that here.  However...

My wife is going be very happy this year as a direct result of the new
colors, because I'll be buying much less new lego.  For several years
now I've been spending way too much money on it.  Why?  Because the
kids and I like to build the models.  Then they play with them and
eventually they fall apart.  But this is OK because they're legos.
The good stuff.  The pieces eventually make their way into bins sorted
by color, or into new creations that are just as fun to play with as
the original sets.  In fact, this is so much fun that I got into the
habbit of buying multiple copies of sets just for the extra parts, to
add onto the models, or build something else that plays well with the
sets.  Starting in 2004 I no longer have any reason to do that.  My
wife will thank you.

Believe me, we tried a megablock set or two and were extremely
disappointed.  The kids can spot a megablock in a pile of the good
stuff by the slightly off color.  It goes straight into the trash.
The new colored bricks are the megablocks of the future.  Since the
colors don't match, they might as well be megablocks.  Oh, we'll buy
a few sets that catch our fancy, but when they come apart, the off
colored bits will go into the reject pile.  And hey, since megablocks
are so much cheaper, and we're buying sets with reject bricks anyhow,
we might as well be buying megablocks.  I'll save even more money.

And so while I'm disappointed with the color change, there is a
silver lining, and it's in my wallet.

Don