 LEGO Company / 3744
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 04:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
   I really think John Neal’s statement is on the money:

“ But now, the canard of purity has finally been dashed for good. Because it’s either accepting that reality, or leave the hobby (with purity intact) altogether. Some have already stated their intentions to do just that, and that’s fine. Personally, I believe it will be liberating. So, I’ll find train parts, electronics, etc, made by companies who were willing to produce them, and not ask or rely on TLG to make versions which need to double as a child’s toy, too.

It sounds heretical, I know, but one day we will all laugh. I’m laughing already:-)”

What puzzles me is why it was “heretical” in the first place. lol

Tommy ARmstrong

I can only speak for myself, but part of the fun, for me at least, is the challenge of staying within the confines of the Lego product. If I wanted to build track, etc. from other items, or do my own molding, I’d work in N or HO scale (actually, I do work in n-scale, but l-gauge is way more fun).

The other aspect that I’ve come to enjoy, since joining my local LUG, is being a part of something unique at train shows. It’s fun to be able to tell visitors that yes, the entire layout really is Lego, including the track and transformers, and no, we’re not just covering up O-gauge track with brick.

While I’m sad to see an end to 9V, I’m glad we got a definitive answer from the company, and I’m curious to see how the new product line will work out. It may work out great, and I’ll be able to continue telling visitors what I tell them now, or I may find that the product doesn’t work for me, and I’ll have to move on. Part of the fun may be lost, but I can always find other hobbies.

-Elroy