 LEGO Company / 3743
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 03:24:14 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Daniel Aubin wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, David Laswell wrote:

   Now, add to this the fact that most current custom part manufacturers are making parts that are small enough that they can save production costs by setting up multi-part molds, whereas the only track geometries that I can see being able to take advantage of that capability are stubbies (center of one tie to the next, either curved or straight). And of course you have people who wouldn’t buy them no matter how well they’re made for the simple reason that they aren’t official LEGO, or because they wouldn’t even be aware that custom track designs were even being made (essentially, anyone who isn’t aware of ILTCO). It’s definitely possible, but the costs would be prohibitively high for most people to even consider, and that’s just for all-plastic track, not even getting into the application of sheet metal rail coverings (which require both custom cutting dies and machines to attach them to the plastic bases). Fans will probably love the idea of being able to buy new 9v track geometries, but many will balk at the idea of paying even twice what The LEGO Company would have likely charged for the same part, and that’s assuming a custom manufacturer could even keep costs that low (I doubt it’s possible without intentionally taking a loss on the project).

Funny how we as AFOLs have a hard time thinking “outside the box”. We automatically assume that new track geometry necessarily requires large sectional track pieces. The old 4.5-volt/12-volt system had separate ties (sleepers in Europe), track and power sections (12-volt). Personally, I liked this way better, even if it required quite a bit of time to set up. When the 9-volt system initially came out, I saw the track as a “juniorization” of the train system.

It would probably be rather easy to make moulded ties with the proper studs in which we could slip in standard model railway track (just the metal part) of the appropriate size. This track is sold in bulk. Special tools called rail benders allow you to curve it to whatever radius you want, bringing about those large-radius curves everyone has been waiting for for so long. Where it gets a bit complicated is for the switches and crossovers. These would probably have to be hand-crafted. However, there are several talented people that modify LEGO’s standard track that would be up to the challenge. Heck, they could even make transition pieces to match up this track with standard 9-volt track.

As for power trucks, check out what’s available for standard model train hobbyists; http://nwsl.com/Catalog/pg025-cat4-06c-v0605.pdf I’m sure that they would be more than happy to make a modified version for us if there’s sufficient interest.

So the future isn’t as bleak as it would seem. If we want, we can continue with our hobby for a long time. Hell, some people (mostly in Europe) still continue on with their 12-volt trains almost 20 years after it was discontinued. It will probably mean cutting a few strings with the LEGO company but that could help the hobby grow.

DA

Now that is kind of what I was advocating in my post.

The whole LEGO system is a modular system--why not come up with modular way of creating tracks and motor housings or whatever using perhaps the system as the glue and outside parts as part of the solution. Now I am not advocating using MEGA Blocks--that is a sacrilege--lol. As many of y’all know, I am not really a builder, but I do try to think out of the box --it is more fun. Most of my ideas end up in the trash can--but every now and again--even I can come up with a good feasible one.

This solution to me as an outsider seems like a good one to at least explore.

All the track stuff, transformers, and tools, etc. has been done by the “real” model railroading people--just need the right interface between LEGO and the “outside world”.And then the “outside world” becomes the inside world, and inside world the outside one. Because it is obviously a lot more fun for the average person to play with LEGO than all that train stuff.

maybe http://www.emachineshop.com/ might be a solution

It is obvious that mastering their software and designing the parts is a “snap” to many of y’all in the community. Create the part, push the button, pick the production method, and get an instant quote. It might be too expensive--or it might not. Who knows until one tries. And no cost to find out.

Now I of course might be missing the whole argument that Daniel was making, but it seems that you just come up with few standard LEGO type custom parts that would create the track using existing “outside” off the shelf parts. A tie, a clip of some kind. As long as make it modular, it seems that future itereations could then be added on for future needs. Just think it through so that in the future there are pathways for modifications.

Again, I may be missing something--but I do not think so.

I really think John Neal’s statement is on the money:

“ But now, the canard of purity has finally been dashed for good. Because it’s either accepting that reality, or leave the hobby (with purity intact) altogether. Some have already stated their intentions to do just that, and that’s fine. Personally, I believe it will be liberating. So, I’ll find train parts, electronics, etc, made by companies who were willing to produce them, and not ask or rely on TLG to make versions which need to double as a child’s toy, too.

It sounds heretical, I know, but one day we will all laugh. I’m laughing already:-)”

What puzzles me is why it was “heretical” in the first place. lol

Tommy ARmstrong