 LEGO Company / 3730
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:57:58 GMT

Snip

Now, add to this the fact that most current custom part manufacturers are
making
parts that are small enough that they can save production costs by setting
up
multi-part molds, whereas the only track geometries that I can see being
able to
take advantage of that capability are stubbies (center of one tie to the
next,
either curved or straight).  And of course you have people who wouldn't
buy them
no matter how well they're made for the simple reason that they aren't
_official_ LEGO, or because they wouldn't even be aware that custom track
designs were even being made (essentially, anyone who isn't aware of
ILTCO).
It's definitely possible, but the costs would be prohibitively high for
most
people to even consider, and that's just for all-plastic track, not even
getting
into the application of sheet metal rail coverings (which require both
custom
cutting dies and machines to attach them to the plastic bases).  Fans will
probably love the idea of being able to buy new 9v track geometries, but
many
will balk at the idea of paying even twice what The LEGO Company would
have
likely charged for the same part, and that's assuming a custom
manufacturer
could even keep costs that low (I doubt it's possible without
intentionally
taking a loss on the project).

So, what about taking another route and simply approach one of the many
model railroad companies to see their interest in making something more like
what THEY already make that *could* suit our needs?  I'd love to see some
unofficial brass L-Guage track.  Heck, I might even be inclined to make that
garden railway I always wanted. (hi John!)...

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net
www.lifelites.com