 LEGO Company / 3204
3203  |  3205
Subject:
LEGOfactory.com launches... and it's... ridiculous!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:29:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Dear LEGO,

I've followed with interest the Lego Factory Contest and I've submitted a couple
of my own creations (just for fun). Today we know at the end the names of the
winners and it is time to make some considerations about the whole contest.

The LEGO company made me really disappointed and I'm really sorry to write the
following lines but I have to do it.

First: the rules were not respected during the first couple of weeks, it was
possible to submit (and being approved) models that were bigger than 16x16
studs. Only after many days those entries were deleted.

Second: a lot of people (really not many, but still enough) submitted the SAME
model for many weeks, sometimes until the achievement of the 1st place at the
end of the week (that means, winning a prize). Submitting the same model for
many weeks was not against the rules, but in this case, LEGO made a mistake,
forgotting to add this constraint to the rules. Sometimes was really annoying to
see always the same models during different weeks...

Third: How you can vote for a creation if you can see it just in a little
tumbnail? Some creations could be really nice but thanks a bad picture they
didn't receive any vote... Moreover, I don't think that many people visited all
the pages of contests's gallery, so they voted one of the mocs placed on the
first page! And I don't know why, but in that page there were always mocs of 2
or 3 builders (and those were always the same!)...

4th: Every contest has a constraint: if you win once, you can't win again. But
the designers of the factory contest forgot this point... this is why some
people won twice or 4 times...

Last but not least: There were many entrants and I think it would be really
difficult to win one prize, but during the last week, the "grand prize week", it
was possible to see 30 mocs of 26 builders: how it was possible? It was possible
because ONE person had FOUR entries and another one, TWO! Are they really always
the best? Not in my opinion, because there were a lot of other very good entries
that haven't won during the 10 weeks.
The best one is the "enfant prodige" which has 4 entries!!! Really lucky, really
a good builder or only a good cheater?

There were 3 entries which had a lot of votes, at the end they had more than
1500 votes... the 4th had "only" about 600 votes. Ok, two of those 3 didn't win
(disqualify for cheating?). All three received every day more than 100 votes and
the last day ALL 3 got more than 500 votes!!! I think all three received a lot
of votes (or simplier they were cheating?) and LEGO what has done? They
disqualified 2 of them! Not all 3! Why?

I've followed, during the last days, the numeber of votes of the first 4 entries
(I will not add any name because I want take this post as objective as
possible!)

number of votes during the last days - final number of votes => result
462 - 547 - 557 - 592 - 1764  => disqualify
479 - 593 - 659 - 850 - 1827  => 1st senior winner
433 - 519 - 794 - 809 - 1924  => disqualify
447 - 543 - 554 - 585 - 638   => 2nd senior winner

The numbers says all, I don't need to add anything. I think the data into the
LEGO servers will confirm my numbers.

Now you can understand why I'm disappointed. Please, LEGO, if you will make next
time a contest, try to make it seriously and not like this time.

Anyway, I will not buy any of the creations of the contest. Those people will
not get money from me!

Best regards,
Luca Giannitti