 LEGO Company / 3205
3204  |  3206
Subject:
Should we ask TLG to use correct USA Anniversary Year?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:32:34 GMT

Well here we are in 2005, and it is the 50th Anniversary of the Lego System of
Play.

And it is also the 50th Anniversary for Lego in Sweden.  In the next 7 years
there will be the 50th Anniversary of Lego in (2006) Germany, Belgium,
Netherlands, Norway, (2007) Austria, Switzerland, (2008) France, Italy, (2010)
Britain, (2012) Australia and Canada.

Conspicuously absent from this list will be the USA.  Samsonite Lego was first
sold in the USA in 1961, the next year (1962) Samsonite Lego was first sold in
Canada.  So how come Canada can use the 1962 begin date, but the USA will not be
using 1961?

Well because of some unfortunate events between USA Samsonite and TLG in the
early 70's, the USA anniversary is celebrated starting 1973, the first year TLG
Lego was sold in the USA.  TLG first set up shop in Connecticut in 1972, when
they got the license back from USA Samsonite, but it took one year to get the
sets out.  (Note:  TLG Lego was first sold in Canada in 1986!!! That was when
TLG got the license back from Samsonite Canada,  But they are not being
penalized any years.)

Sounds to me like the USA is somehow getting punished (years wise) because of
the problems of the early 1970's.

Doesn't exactly seem fair, does it?

Should we ask TLG to reconsider the USA date?

Gary Istok