 LEGO Company / 1170

Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:52:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
<snip>

I'm putting out a call to help me assemble your best tips/tricks/best practices
for forming and running local clubs and events.
<snip>

This has probably already been mentioned elsewhere, but one activity that I
truly enjoy at our local meetings is the set draft. In brief, we work it like
this.

All members who want to participate purchase the set in question. Usually we
limit the cost to $20. Last meeting we bought the Air Blazers set as a bonus set
since one of our members spotted them on clearance.

Fourteen sets went into that draft. Each set is divided up into its component
pieces with one pile per type of piece. There are a few exceptions [1] but for
the most part this works out. Each person draws a number from a hat determining
the order in which they pick. As you go down the list each person picks a pile
up until there are less piles left than people in the draft. At this point the
pick goes in reverse[2]. It compensates somewhat for a high number.

It really works well. Every one comes out with a bunch of pieces that may be
neat in small numbers but are amazing in large quantities.

[1] Now for the exceptions. Some things are divided into more than one pile. All
splits are made prior to drawing numbers.
1) Any pile that some one wants split is split until people are happy.
   We split the chrome elbow bends in two and the jet engines into four piles
   for the air blazer draft.
2) Minifigs count as two parts. They are matched up and then two piles are made.
3) Wings and other mirror items are paired up and split in two.

[2] For example, with four people you pick up piles in order 1-2-3-4 until #4
picks up a pile and there are less than that number left on the table. For 7
piles you would go 1-2-3-4-4-3-2.

As one of our members said "You only miss the draft once"

Best of Luck!

Dan

Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks