 LEGO Company / 1165

Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:00:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, James Wilson wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Ronald Borchert wrote:
Hi.

I think, the survey is nonsense.
LEGO cannot produce any more legends, because the colors needed are no more
available.

Regards Ronald

I have to agree - if the colors aren't the same, or if the pieces are
significantly different (like substituting 1x1 brick with headlight for 1x1
window, as noted earlier), then it's not a reissue, but a reinterpretation.

$0.02
James Wilson
Dallas, TX

I have to wonder why people are spotlighting Ronald's post.  Precise reissues
aren't going to happen for older sets anyway.

In any case, I wouldn't buy a reissue of the yellow castle.  Accurate?  So what?
It would still be bright yellow.  Sand red, tan, sand green, all would be fine.
Reinterpretation?  So what?  I'd buy it whereas I wouldn't buy the other.

Since I have stated that opinion before numerous times, why should a slight
variation in gray change my mind about it being a Legend?  Now, it may be a less
useful Legend, just as I see an accurate Yellow castle a less useful re-release
no matter how accurate.

-->Bruce<--

In lugnet.lego, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

I have to wonder why people are spotlighting Ronald's post.  Precise reissues
aren't going to happen for older sets anyway.

Because he seems to have captured how they feel about the color issue as it
affects Legends releses.  Can't be a reissue if it's significantly different.
Call it something else.

In any case, I wouldn't buy a reissue of the yellow castle.  Accurate?  So what?
It would still be bright yellow.  Sand red, tan, sand green, all would be fine.
Reinterpretation?  So what?  I'd buy it whereas I wouldn't buy the other.

Since I have stated that opinion before numerous times, why should a slight
variation in gray change my mind about it being a Legend?  Now, it may be a less
useful Legend, just as I see an accurate Yellow castle a less useful re-release
no matter how accurate.

-->Bruce<--

If Ford Motor Company decided to "reissue" the Model T, would you buy one?  How
about if it weren't available in its original color, black, but some blue-black
color that was never used in the original.  Would the slight variation in color
change your mind?

James Wilson
Dallas, TX

Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
In lugnet.lego, James Wilson wrote: snip
   If Ford Motor Company decided to “reissue” the Model T, would you buy one? > How about if it weren’t available in its original color, black, but some blue-black color that was never used in the original. Would the slight variation in color change your mind?

Wow! A great example. A classic space set, or any other legend, would not be the same in bley.

Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
If Ford Motor Company decided to "reissue" the Model T, would you buy one?  How
about if it weren't available in its original color, black, but some blue-black
color that was never used in the original.  Would the slight variation in color
change your mind?

James Wilson
Dallas, TX

It seems to have worked for the rerelease of the "VW Bug"..... :)

Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
It seems to have worked for the rerelease of the "VW Bug"..... :)

Considering the fact that the last old-style VW Beetle didn't roll off the line
until late last year, technically the new Beetle isn't a rerelease.  :)

Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
It seems to have worked for the rerelease of the "VW Bug"..... :)

Considering the fact that the last old-style VW Beetle didn't roll off the line
until late last year, technically the new Beetle isn't a rerelease.  :)

IIRC, VW stopped making the old Beetle in 1978.  The factory I think you're
referring to is one in Mexico. Local managers bought it from the company, since
there was a mucher higher demand there than elsewhere for the bug.

Somehow I don't think that TLC would let any group of fans buy out a factory,
though.

Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends