 General / 6045
Re: The History of LEGO Plates - Part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:46:43 GMT

Ooops, I forgot clear bricks (Ben Rochow reminded me).  See below.    Gary Istok

Gary Istok wrote:

Naji Norder wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

So after all this discussion, here is what I would consider to be highly • collectible in
Cellulose Acetate:

1) Green (Samsonite) Cellulose Acetate plates - never produced in Europe in • the 1960's.

2) Blue or Yellow Cellulose Acetate plates - never produced in USA in the • 1960's, and
very rare in Cellulose Acetate in Europe.

Gary Istok

Somewhere in my collection I've seen a 1x2 plate with a square pip on the
bottom.  I'd like to look through and find any Cellulose Acetate bricks.  How
can I tell them from ABS?

Naji

I sometimes have a hard time telling the difference.  The pips on the 1x2 aren't
a good indicator, because I have ABS 1x2 plates with that pip.

Here is an overview of telling the difference:

On new or hardly used pieces it is much easier.  The CA bricks have a high gloss
mirror like finish.  The ABS bricks have a duller matte finish.

Most CA bricks/plates/slopes/windows are warped, some more so than others.  Try
to find a straight edge on the piece, and look at it edge on.  If the piece is in
otherwise good condition, and it is warped - then it is more than likely CA.

The font of the word "LEGO" on top of the studs (this doesn't work for early
windows & doors because there are no stud tops) is not a good indication.  I've
got CA pieces with older and newer fonts.

How to tell by color:

Red - this is the easiest color to tell apart.  CA red pieces have a lighter
"orange" like hue to them.

White - not always easy to tell apart.  CA white pieces have a more "milky" hue
to them that ABS, which is darker.

Yellow - this is not too difficult to tell apart.  CA yellow pieces have a sort
of lighter "lemon meringue" milky color.  This is the only 1960's color which I
have never been able to find CA plates in.

Blue - not always easy to tell apart.  CA blue has a lighter blue color to it -
actually I prefer the CA blue to the current blue used on ABS.

Black - difficult to tell apart.  Usually I can tell by the brick surface - if it
is real shiny then it is CA.  Black CA Lego pieces are not that common.

Grey - difficult to tell apart.  Again the brick surface (shiny) is a giveaway.
Grey CA Lego is quite scarce.

Green - 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 plates from the early Samsonite era service
packs were the only green Lego ever produced in CA (with the possible exception
of some 10x20 baseplates).  So these were only available in the US/Canada.  The
green color is slightly lighter than the ABS green of today.  Also, all the CA
green plates from that era have an "italicized" earlier Lego font.

Clear - Only the regular clear bricks were produced.  The CA clear bricks have a
yellow hue to them (probably yellowed over the years).  Warping is common.  The ABS
clear bricks have a more blue hue to them (not to be confused with any of the colored
clear bricks, which came long after CA bricks ceased production).  But anyone who has
the LEAR JET set will confirm that the 1x2 clear plates (ABS) in this set also have a
"champagne" like hue.  So I would venture to guess that the blue hue of clear bricks
today happened sometimes in the late 1970's or early 1980's, and ABS clear bricks can
have either a champagne or a blue hue to them..

Gary Istok