 General / 5574
Re: The History of LEGO Plates - Part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:21:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

Eric,
(There are no ignorant questions!!)

Spoken like a man who's never worked in Tech Support. :D

Most people are unaware of the Architectural Sets, which were produced from
1963-65.

I had heard of the Architectural Parts Packs, but not the main Architectural
Sets.

The Lugnet Database has the 750, 751 and 752 sets displayed:

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=752

<squint>

I'll have to take another look at a terminal where I can change the
resolution... or download it and blow it up.

Using only plates and bricks (they didn't have any arches, railings or other
specialty architectural pieces back in 1963) it limits what you could build. • What
is displayed in the boxes is more like "modern Scandanavian" structures, • rather
than historical buildings.

But I agree with you, it would be great to have historical architectural • themed
sets today.

Sigh.  Oh, well.  If they were looking for a direction to go in aside from
"Town Jr" and more firestations/police stations for Town, I thought this would
be a good answer.  I'm sure if they designed the sets right, and made the
buildings generic enough, the sets would be guaranteed multiple sellers as
people would want to expand their "street" with MOCs.

eric