 General / 55912
Re: The 236 Garage... the simples and yet most complex LEGO Set...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:24:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Gary Istok wrote:
Rather than repost this... I just posted an article in Eurobricks
(where images can be added) about one of the most complex LEGO sets
of all time... the 236/1236 LEGO Garages set...

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76033

I still own (some) parts of my original Service Station from around 1960,
also *had* some of the cars, but none of them survived my childhood. A
bicycle, two mopeds/Vespa and a motorcycle did survive, though, and are
displayed in my 'Historical Lego' shelf...

You're lucky.  A long time ago (long before the internet), I bought a collection
off a retiree that basically doubled my LEGO collection at the time (now it
might make a dent, but not much).

Anyway, whilst sorting it I came across a few matchbox or hotwheels (or so I
thought) so I threw them out!  See, until the internet I had no idea that LEGO
'dabbled' in cast cars.  Thinking back, since the rest of the collection was
pure LEGO-i.e. no other junk, I'm thinking that the cars were LEGO cars and not
hotwheels/matchbox.

Live and learn :(

Dave K

Gary Istok wrote:
[...]

Dave, I'll console you a little bit... the really valuable 1:87 scale cars were
mainly only sold in continental Europe.  Britain had a very rare black Jaguar
(#670), but the USA had just basically common color vehicles, and only a Bedford
Esso Tanker, Bedford Fire Truck and Bedford Tow Truck (all 3 trucks were only
ever found in the 725 Town Plan sets of USA/Canada.  None of the Mercedes
vehicles sold only in continental Europe were ever sold in North America.

And the 236 Garage set was never sold in North America either... only the 235
garage parts kit... (always with a white base, red door and white door frame)
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/235-1
And the 310 Esso Service Station was also never sold in North America either...
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/310-5
except as part of the 725 Town Plan.

One irony is that even though all USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO catalogs of that era
showed a (rare) white garage door... only (common) red garage doors were ever
found in USA/Canada.

Cheers,
Gary Istok

Re: The 236 Garage... the simples and yet most complex LEGO Set...
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

<snip>

Dave, I'll console you a little bit... the really valuable 1:87 scale cars were
mainly only sold in continental Europe.  Britain had a very rare black Jaguar
(#670), but the USA had just basically common color vehicles, and only a Bedford
Esso Tanker, Bedford Fire Truck and Bedford Tow Truck (all 3 trucks were only
ever found in the 725 Town Plan sets of USA/Canada.  None of the Mercedes
vehicles sold only in continental Europe were ever sold in North America.

Well at least there's that.  they were probably hot wheels or matchbox then :)

And the 236 Garage set was never sold in North America either... only the 235
garage parts kit... (always with a white base, red door and white door frame)
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/235-1
And the 310 Esso Service Station was also never sold in North America either...
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/310-5
except as part of the 725 Town Plan.

One irony is that even though all USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO catalogs of that era
showed a (rare) white garage door... only (common) red garage doors were ever
found in USA/Canada.

I have about a dozen doors and frames--some of which are broken :( and lots of
garage 'baseplates'.  Keep meaning to use them in *something*, but alas, no
inspiration as yet...

Cheers,
Gary Istok

Thanks Gary!  As always, your unique historical insight to our very favourite
hobby is completely appreciated!  Next time you're in town, let me know!!

Dave K

Re: The 236 Garage... the simples and yet most complex LEGO Set...
Anyway, whilst sorting it I came across a few matchbox or hotwheels
(or so I thought) so I threw them out!

Ouch!!

--
Anders Isaksson