 General / 55381
Re: Strong smoke smell on parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:48:41 GMT

Lee Gaiteri wrote:
I recently got an order from Bricklink, from a store in Germany, and
when it arrived it smelled very strongly of smoke. I've been trying
to find solutions to cleaning them that will be satisfactory. Some
sites say sealing items in a container with a piece of bread soaked
in vinegar (the bread is for greater surface area) will do the trick.
Others mention baking soda. Others still have recommended a gentle
wash. So far I'm trying the vinegar trick, but I'd like some
backups--especially since I have another lot expected from Italy. I
imagine the likelihood of that, too, smelling of smoke is rather
high.

I'm a little hesitant to do a wash because the lot I got includes
some heads, and I don't want to risk any damage to the patterns. I've
found no info yet whether patterns can come off in a wash. One person
suggested All Free & Clear, which is what we use for laundry
detergent, but I'd like to be sure it will be safe for patterned
parts. The same question applies to ultrasonic cleaning.

A complicating factor is that my wife has MCS and as bad as the smoke
smell would be for her to be around, most chemical options are off
the menu. Pine-sol, for instance, is out of the question; frankly I
can't stand it either.

A while back someone also suggested using a vacuum chamber to clean
parts, since that should unbond the smoke from the ABS. Has this been
tested? And if so, does it pose any danger of warping the parts? It
seems to me like a partial vacuum at least should be attainable so
I'd like to know if this option works.

I have successfully used anti-bacterial liquid soap for cleaning smoke
smelling parts. I soak the parts for a couple days in a soapy solution.

One thing I noticed is that the smokey smell comes from an oily deposit, so
my feeling is a soap solution is important.

One thing this will NOT work for is chromed parts, the soap breaks down the
chrome.

Also, I have not left stickered parts in for long periods of time, however,
for a quick wash, I have not had any trouble with stickers as long as they
are well attached.

Frank