 General / 55375
55374  |  55376
Subject:
Strong smoke smell on parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:18:50 GMT

I recently got an order from Bricklink, from a store in Germany, and when it
arrived it smelled very strongly of smoke. I've been trying to find solutions to
cleaning them that will be satisfactory. Some sites say sealing items in a
container with a piece of bread soaked in vinegar (the bread is for greater
surface area) will do the trick. Others mention baking soda. Others still have
recommended a gentle wash. So far I'm trying the vinegar trick, but I'd like
some backups--especially since I have another lot expected from Italy. I imagine
the likelihood of that, too, smelling of smoke is rather high.

I'm a little hesitant to do a wash because the lot I got includes some heads,
and I don't want to risk any damage to the patterns. I've found no info yet
whether patterns can come off in a wash. One person suggested All Free & Clear,
which is what we use for laundry detergent, but I'd like to be sure it will be
safe for patterned parts. The same question applies to ultrasonic cleaning.

A complicating factor is that my wife has MCS and as bad as the smoke smell
would be for her to be around, most chemical options are off the menu. Pine-sol,
for instance, is out of the question; frankly I can't stand it either.

A while back someone also suggested using a vacuum chamber to clean parts, since
that should unbond the smoke from the ABS. Has this been tested? And if so, does
it pose any danger of warping the parts? It seems to me like a partial vacuum at
least should be attainable so I'd like to know if this option works.