 General / 51863
Re: Best "practical" use of LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 01:40:20 GMT

A 180 degree oval turn of track fits perfectly with the shorter dimension of my old lab demo table, so I set up a long oval (to get the trains past the sink) and crashed some of my Lego trains together to demonstrate conservation of momentum and energy in collisions with the high school physics classes I used to teach. The Lego trains work a lot better than the HO trains and track I used before that, because a) they are more massive, b) they are larger and thus more visible throughout the classroom and c) they can be put back together again quite easily whenever they jump the edge of the table.

In a NASA educator workshop I attended four years ago, we constructed microgravity well drop chambers out of Lego bricks (and some Technic parts) and used a Lego astronaut minifig to simulate the effect on an astronaut travelling in a similar real-life chamber. The goal was to have the astronaut, attached to some bricks by Lego rubber bands, travel as high as possible during the flight without sustaining injury on impact. Our group achieved the greatest height (by far), but unfortunately, our astronaut didn’t survive the drop. (His legs and helmet separated from his head and torso upon reentry.)

One of the rat care books on our shelf shows some little homes and play areas for inside rat cages, constructed from the bricks. (Personally, I’d choose Mega Bloks over Lego for that, because the rats will invariably gnaw at the walls, and I’d rather that didn’t happen to the proper bricks. :D)
  1. Michael