 General / 50369
Re: searching for something to tighten the fit of overused LEGO pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:48:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Pete Smith wrote:
I use LEGO for teambuilding workshops. The pieces are used time and
time again. After a while they fit together rather loosely.

Do you know of any material / powder / whatever I can put on the pieces
to make them fit together more tightly?

Try washing the pieces in hand-hot (40 degC) water with normal washing powder.
Allow the pieces to soak overnight and rinse them in warm water the next day,
leaving them to dry on an old towel.

I've found that when I wash 2nd-hand Lego parts, they grip tighter than new
bricks but are conversely more difficult to separate.  I think there is a slight
softening of the bricks that allows the moulding stresses to be released but
this causes the tightness afterwards.

This won't fix worn studs but it will help the undersides of bricks to grip
better.  It will also get rid of all the germs that accumulate from all the
people who've used them!

Mark