 General / 50332
Re: Why are slope bricks textured?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.parts
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:16:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Samarth Moray wrote:
Its one of the most trivial things, but its always bothered me. Why have that
texture on the slope end? What purpose does it serve? From the small selection
of un-textured slopes we have, one can only infer that these would be less
trouble to make... amongst a lot of other advantages. So why? I'm hoping our
freindly neighbourhood LEGO historian Gary Istok can answer.....

Legoswami

OK, I would love to give some special reason, but I know of none.  Ever since
the sloped bricks first came out in red (1958) and blue (1960), they have had
the textured finish.  The simplest explanation I can think of is because most
roofs are not smooth, but either ridged (roof tiles) or staggered (roofing paper
or roofing slate).  Perhaps when the sloped bricks were being designed by TLG in
1958, they tried using smooth sloped bricks.  And maybe they didn't look all
that realistic that way.  Can't give any insight beyond that, except that the
coarseness of the sloped surface changed over the years.  In the 70's the
texture was more pronounced than earlier or later sloped bricks.

Gary Istok

Re: Why are slope bricks textured?
Can't give any insight beyond that, except that the
coarseness of the sloped surface changed over the years.  In the 70's the
texture was more pronounced than earlier or later sloped bricks.

Gary Istok

Definitely so!  The earlier slopes had a texture that resembled overlapping
circles, while the later texture is more evenly distributed teeny-weeny
bumps.  I can always tell if it's an old slope piece because of the funky
circle pattern.

Dave

Re: Why are slope bricks textured?
OK, I would love to give some special reason, but I know of none.  Ever since
the sloped bricks first came out in red (1958) and blue (1960), they have had
the textured finish.  The simplest explanation I can think of is because most
roofs are not smooth, but either ridged (roof tiles) or staggered (roofing paper
or roofing slate).  Perhaps when the sloped bricks were being designed by TLG in
1958, they tried using smooth sloped bricks.  And maybe they didn't look all
that realistic that way.  Can't give any insight beyond that, except that the
coarseness of the sloped surface changed over the years.  In the 70's the
texture was more pronounced than earlier or later sloped bricks.

Gary Istok

What about the 3x6 slopes? Okay, I know they are a little different but they
don't have that "texture" you are speaking of.

Re: Why are slope bricks textured?
   What about the 3x6 slopes? Okay, I know they are a little different but they don’t have that “texture” you are speaking of.

Do you mean part 3939?

Going by the data collected on Peeron, this part first appeared in 1978. For the next ~13 years, the part only appeared in transparent colors. So I’d guess it was intended as a windshield/canopy, instead of a roof. Windshields are usually pretty smooth.

See http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3939, and click the link for the complete color table (underneath the partial color table shown on the page).

Steve

Re: Why are slope bricks textured?
Also, keep in mind that the slopes that came with the McDonald's Happy
Meal sets a few years back were NOT textured. They had printed images on
the sloped part, but if I remember correctly, that slope was smooth.

eric harshbarger