 General / 50188
Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:20:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joakim Olsson wrote:

"Gary Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:IC15I3.xqH@lugnet.com...
I just purchased on EBAY (from a Danish seller) a huge lot of ancient Lego
bricks and windows/doors from 1949-57.  This includes Automatic Binding Bricks
(1949-52) early Lego bricks 1953-54, Town Plan System early bricks (1955-56) and
the forerunner to modern Lego bricks (1957).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956669994

snip

Way cool!

Be sure not to chew on them. =)
I think old Lego pieces contain some toxic colors? I remember some news
about that when I was a kid (in the 70´s. Was there any truth about that?
I thougt I´d ask you, as you are the true historian of Lego bricks.
Regards
/Joakim

Joakim, Thanks, but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people out there who
know a lot about Lego!  I just happen to have the biggest mouth! ;-)

I believe you are talking about the Cadmium found in red and yellow Lego color
pigments.  This was eliminated in the 1970's.  It seems that the human body
cannot eliminate Cadmium (a heavy metal) once it is ingested.  TLG demonstrated
that there was no way for Cadmium to "leech" out of the Lego elements, and so
was not harmful.  But was determined that it was bad for the environment (for
Lego bricks that were thrown away) and Cadmium would eventually "leech" out in a
landfill.  So it was eliminated in the early 70's.

Of course I find it appalling that some (not very smart) people actually throw
away Lego!

One other thing about this old assortment of Lego.... from 1949-54 Lego was ONLY
sold in Denmark, so that is the only place to find the oldest Lego.  In 1955
Sweden was the first foreign country to sell Lego.  This was followed in 1956 by
Germany, Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands.  These are the only countries that
sold the old style "slotted" bricks with the old style "winged" windows/doors.

Gary Istok