 General / 50174

Subject:
Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:32:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I just purchased on EBAY (from a Danish seller) a huge lot of ancient Lego
bricks and windows/doors from 1949-57.  This includes Automatic Binding Bricks
(1949-52) early Lego bricks 1953-54, Town Plan System early bricks (1955-56) and
the forerunner to modern Lego bricks (1957).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956669994

Check out the windows and doors.  This is the first time I have ever seen in one
picture all 3 early archaic types of Lego windows/doors (all 3 types retired at
the end of 1956), all of which have no studs on top, and have "wings" on the
sides to attach to the slotted Lego bricks of the era.  They are:

1) 1949-56 (no glass) multi-paned windows/doors.
2) 1954-56 (with glass) early tall version of classic Lego windows/doors.
3) 1954-56 (no glass) early version of classic Lego windows/doors.

There are also some beams with names, 1 policeman (from the #271/#1271 parts
pack), and 2 street lamps (from #233 spare parts pack).

There are also a few 2x12 and 2x14 bricks.  If you wonder why they don't make
them longer than 2x10, here's why.  These 2x12 and 2x14 were only produced from
1954-56, and have been retired since 1956.  TLG is not known to reintroduce
retired pieces, so you won't be seeing any 2x12 or 2x14 again.

I will be photographing the different varieties of windows/doors and bricks for
inclusion in the Lego CD.

Gary Istok

P.S. There are a few modern classic windows/doors in the lot (1957-87) with
studs on top.  If they are full stud windows/doors, then they are from 1957.

Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
[...]

Gary,
look at the other present auctions that seller have; one of them includes
multicolored bricks -I didn't know about the existence of these (and I'm
Danish).
Arne, Copenhagen

Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I just purchased on EBAY (from a Danish seller) a huge lot of ancient Lego
bricks and windows/doors from 1949-57.  This includes Automatic Binding Bricks

<snip>

I will be photographing the different varieties of windows/doors and bricks for
inclusion in the Lego CD.

Gary Istok

P.S. There are a few modern classic windows/doors in the lot (1957-87) with
studs on top.  If they are full stud windows/doors, then they are from 1957.

Oh My Goodness!!

There's a find!  Thanks for sharing!

The only place I've seen good pics of original LEGO 'Automated Binding Bricks'
is in the book 'The World of LEGO Toys'.

Can't wait until better pics!

So are you in the mood to sell one of those original bricks to me?  I'd love to
own one :)

Dave K

Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I just purchased on EBAY (from a Danish seller) a huge lot of ancient Lego
bricks and windows/doors from 1949-57.  This includes Automatic Binding Bricks
(1949-52) early Lego bricks 1953-54, Town Plan System early bricks (1955-56) and
the forerunner to modern Lego bricks (1957).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956669994

Check out the windows and doors.

Mmmmm 2x14 goodness.  I have a weakness for warped CA :)

Those windows are spectacular!  Can't wait to hear more about them when you
receive them.

Eric

Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
I just purchased on EBAY (from a Danish seller) a huge lot of ancient Lego
bricks and windows/doors from 1949-57.  This includes Automatic Binding • Bricks
(1949-52) early Lego bricks 1953-54, Town Plan System early bricks • (1955-56) and
the forerunner to modern Lego bricks (1957).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956669994

snip

Way cool!

Be sure not to chew on them. =)
I think old Lego pieces contain some toxic colors? I remember some news
about that when I was a kid (in the 70´s. Was there any truth about that?
I thougt I´d ask you, as you are the true historian of Lego bricks.
Regards
/Joakim

Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57
I just purchased on EBAY (from a Danish seller) a huge lot of ancient Lego
bricks and windows/doors from 1949-57.  This includes Automatic Binding Bricks
(1949-52) early Lego bricks 1953-54, Town Plan System early bricks (1955-56) and
the forerunner to modern Lego bricks (1957).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5956669994

snip

Way cool!

Be sure not to chew on them. =)
I think old Lego pieces contain some toxic colors? I remember some news
about that when I was a kid (in the 70´s. Was there any truth about that?
I thougt I´d ask you, as you are the true historian of Lego bricks.
Regards
/Joakim

Joakim, Thanks, but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people out there who
know a lot about Lego!  I just happen to have the biggest mouth! ;-)

I believe you are talking about the Cadmium found in red and yellow Lego color
pigments.  This was eliminated in the 1970's.  It seems that the human body
cannot eliminate Cadmium (a heavy metal) once it is ingested.  TLG demonstrated
that there was no way for Cadmium to "leech" out of the Lego elements, and so
was not harmful.  But was determined that it was bad for the environment (for
Lego bricks that were thrown away) and Cadmium would eventually "leech" out in a
landfill.  So it was eliminated in the early 70's.

Of course I find it appalling that some (not very smart) people actually throw
away Lego!

One other thing about this old assortment of Lego.... from 1949-54 Lego was ONLY
sold in Denmark, so that is the only place to find the oldest Lego.  In 1955
Sweden was the first foreign country to sell Lego.  This was followed in 1956 by
Germany, Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands.  These are the only countries that
sold the old style "slotted" bricks with the old style "winged" windows/doors.

Gary Istok

Re: Oldest Lego Parts of 1949-57