 General / 50177
Re: Meet my son, and his creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:26:23 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, John Ladasky wrote: SNIP

Spencer would really like to know what people think of his recent Pokémon comic. Plenty of people have already visited this folder -- perhaps some of you? I helped Spencer with the photography and the captions, but the models, story, and dialogue are all his doing. He has built more elaborate scenery and written an outline for a second comic strip. I hope that we’ll start shooting it soon.

The cartoon is cool, I especially like the scene at the nurse’s where the Pokemon sniff each other, it gives them a real feeling of character.

I have had most of our Lego collection sorted for years, which is a very unusual condition for children to encounter. Because of this organization, I’ve noticed a tendency for Spencer to build creations with many copies of the same part. Sometimes the result is pretty good! When he was four, he built a kangaroo and joey using only 2 x 2 right-angle brackets. He built the kangaroo first, and showed it to his Mom. She asked him, “where’s the little joey?” -- and he went back and built one.

These are really inventive, I thinks its a good way of showing your creative skills to build using one part type, perhaps its a good basis for a competition?

More recently, using the same 2 x 2 brackets, he built a spaceship that he calls the Starfighter 62. Folding landing gear -- that’s my boy! (Personally, I think that this model looks more like a freighter than a fighter. The square enclosure screams to be filled with cargo containers. But if my kid says it’s a fighter, then that’s what it is.)

Please let Spencer know what you think. Thanks!

tim