 General / 49476
49475  |  49477
Subject:
Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:26:42 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello!

Because I am not pagan but Lutheran I’m not celebrating Halloween but Reformation Day. That’s the day when we commemorate the start of the so called Reformation that began with Dr. Martin Luther nailing 95 theses against the practice of indulgence to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg on October 31th anno 1517. (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jojo/Luther/luther1.jpg)

After he did that he got some trouble with the Pope in Rome for His Holiness didn’t like too much what Luther sermonised against some essential usages to encash money for the church. So Luther was labeled “heretic” and excommunicated unless he recanted his scripts. Also the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, Charles V., catholic himself of course and in his capacity as Roman Emperor protector of the Christendom, was not willing to let either the troups of Süleyman the Magnificent nor some monk from Wittenberg to imperil the unity of the Holy Catholic Church. So he aimed to simply impose the Ban of the Empire against Luther. But Luther’s own souvereign, Frederic the Wise, Elector of Saxony, persuaded the emperor to give Luther the chance to defend himself before any imperial verdict against him. Frederic even more wanted to obviate the emperor to hand over Luther to the Inquisition because that was a byword for a death sentence and because as a German it was Luther’s right to be protected against any tribunal outside of his own country. Furthermore the emperor had to grant safe conduct to and from the trial. So Charles summoned Luther to the Imperial Diet of Worms:

Click me, I’m a link! Click me, I’m a link! Click me, I’m a link! Click me, I’m a link! Click me, I’m a link!

We are looking at the high hall, on the left we see the Emperor enthroned, gatherd around him in two 1/4 arches are the Electors watching the trial (it should be seven rather than six but that would have lead to unwanted asymmetry), the hall is filled with several dignitaries from aristocracy, church and from the imperial towns, along with some trial observers from reuters and the UN... In the middle of the hall there’s a table, laying on it Luther’s books and scripts laying that he is asked to recant. In front of the red carpet is standing Johann Eck, the theologian who represents the emperor in the case, on the other end of the desk we see Luther himself. He is declaring that he isn’t able to recant his scripts because they are based on God’s Word, so recanting them means recanting the Holy Bible. On the other hand, if he was convinced by Scripture or plain reason that he was wrong he would be the first to throuw his flawed scripts into the fire.

Well, nobody was able to disprove his scripts so Luther did not recant. He travelled back to Wittenberg and while he was on his journey the emperor imposed the Ban of the Empire against him and outlawed him. So everybody was allowed to kill him without threat of punishment.

I am Finished!

Bye
Jojo