 General / 48961

Re: I hate MOCPages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:55:40 GMT

All:

Sorry for the late reply on this thread ... I was away for a long holiday
weekend.

The reviewing mechanism on MOCpages was meant to be that - for reviews.  I
created it as a means for people to offer praise and/or constructive criticism.
Want to chat?  Use LUGNET.

The reviews, unfortunately, have the ability to be mis-used as a chatroom or a
message board, which was not the intent.  Many of the teens from BZpower.com or
the folks from here on LUGNET are used to a less static means of communication.

When "reviews" are written that clearly are not reviews, I delete them.  You would be amazed at how many people just write things like "i can do better", or "you suck", or "legos? get a life", or even simply "where are the pictures".   There were even a few rude things directed at Anthony Sava after his message here on LUGNET.

The root of the tension in this thread is a result of volume: I couldn't
possibly moderate every review - there are thousands of them.  So, instead,
MOCpages automatically "holds" the reviews that it considers questionable (based
on a set of keyword matches and other criteria) and I review them myself every
few hours.

I delete the bad ones before you even see them... While I believe in the
preservation of free speech, I do not condone cowardly attacks in a community
built upon toys, lightheardedness, and creativity.  Reviews that are indeed
"reviews" are then censored by removing vulgarity or slander before being made
public.

The moderation process was not up-and-running when MOCpages was new, so vulgar,
rude, and attacking reviews from a year ago might still be up there.  Let me
know if you have them on your site and I will look into it.

I've considered granting MOCpages account holders the ability to delete these
reviews from their pages themselves, but (as someone here mentioned) I am afraid
that people would abuse this right.  More importantly, it does not prevent the
hurt that can be done to a very young child when a someone comes in and vulgarly
insults their creations.  ("Stop building, you are awful" is a popular theme in
a lot of reviews.)  With that, MOCpages would become something that parents
disallow for their children.  So, someone still needs to "pre screen" things.

Also, I won't "force" people to create MOCpages accounts just to write a review.
The most compelling reason is the one that Spencer pointed out -- many of the
people that visit MOCpages are not part of the LEGO community.  They surf in via
Google, or from blogs and "cool site of the day" links.  I wanted to create a
mechanism that does not shun "outsiders".  ... and people will very rarely go
through a "registration" process unless they really want to or have to.  And
most of the most sincere reviews come from people who don't know about our
little world.

So... I still maintain that if there are reviews that you want deleted, just
e-mail me and I'll look into it.  I've already gone and deleted the offending
reviews mentioned in this thread (did I miss any?), and a few dozen bogus pages
that that "Joker" guy created the other day.

Oh, and as a side note, I wanted to thank the three people that donated to
MOCpages this weekend.  http://www.mocpages.com/about/donors.php  (I can only
assume the dontations were spurred by this thread, because I usually don't get
any.)  I spend about $100 each month out-of-pocket to host MOCpages, and I
really appreciate when folks help out.

Sean
MOCpages Administrator

Re: I hate MOCPages