 General / 48916
Re: Whats up with BrickShelf mods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:31:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, John-Paul Enaje wrote:
   Im getting a little tired of some of the mods deleting my Logo pics. The ones that contain real life people, vehicles, and buildings. Now for some reason, when I upload on the weekdays, those kind of pics pass. However when its the weekend, and you upload again since the BrickShelf was having server errors on Friday.... well... here’s how the story goes....

I went through the trouble of searching google for the right aircraft images on my 56k dial up. I went through the trouble of using MS Paint and PhotoImpression as I lack Photoshop to edit those four (4) pics to the correct size and naming each fighter jet. I also made had to write the pic’s title called: “Military MOCs - Air Power”, as Im gonna start working on military aircraft MOCs for my Military theme. After about an hour of doing that, I can’t upload due to the server error, a message that didn’t show for 2 hours. I got so mad that I literrally had tension headache and developed a fever of 102.8 degrees. So the next day, I try again as I see that others have been able to upload pics earlier in the day. Now after I FINALLY upload them, guess what... the WORK I had done for the hobby I love, the WORK I did for several hours searching and editing and waiting during the 2 hour upload the day before, the WORK I have done that got me sick for taking soooo long.... gets deleted..... :-(

What I don’t understand is that whoever this weekend mod is, he/she doesn’t seem to recognize the fact that several of my other Military and Ancients folders ALREADY CONTAIN logo pics that HAS REAL LIFE PEOPLE, VEHICLES, and BUILDINGS!!! So what I don’t understand is why does he/she delete them when its apparently OK for the other mods. I’ve also seen other people have logo pics that aren’t that much different from my own pass moderation.

I use those pics to represent the fact that my MOCs are meant to represent something realistic. Be they mythological or currently fictional... I want the viewers to think that this IS what this and that looks like in real life. I also use them to compare my MOCs to the real thing. Other people have comparison pics used as the folder logo, why does this weekend mod think that I can’t have that too?

Please don’t tell me to use Maj.com cuz these military aircraft pics Im making are “Lego related”. They even deleted my “combiningfeatures” pic which shows 6 different real life military helicopters and the SW Republic Gunship whose features I will borrow and use on a BIG super-helicopter MOC. I already had that pic in the MilitaryMOCs folder, deleted it and then moved the MOC pic to the Military MOCs - Air Power folder. So when it had been approved already, this person decides to delete it........

Give me a break, weekend BrickShelf mod.

I’d upload those pics on weekdays to avoid you moderating/deleting them, but since Fall 2004 semester started, Im not gonna have much time during the weekdays. Im at my community college from 8am to 8pm, working on a Nursing degree where we have to take hazardous lab classes like MicroBio lab where we get to work with microbs like salmonella, ecoli, and other forms of bacterium and viruses.

In other words, my weekdays are already hard, please stop making my weekends equally difficult by not letting me upload pics of the hobbies I love.

Thank you.

Kevin Loch posted this explanation of Brickshelf policy to the WAMALUG list on 8/25/04:

We discourage the use of “title” images (no matter how creative), especially those that use words. The first picture is used as the representative thumbnail for the whole folder and Brickshelf folders don’t usually contain pictures of words. The first “natural” or unintentionally first image in a folder is almost always an ideal representation of what is inside.

As a moderator I usually just mark the entire folder as “Avatar” if the first image is a “title” image or avatar, even if the rest of the folder has interesting images. This has the effect of removing it form the default “recent” view. You will notice that the recent view is almost always full of interesting pictures of bricks or people and not words or artificial title images.

In this case I found the rest of the folder contents to be so interesting I deleted the title images so the rest of the pictures could be seen by as many people as possible. If you want the title images to remain that’s fine but the folders will have to be tagged as ‘Avatar’.

I realize this is one of the quirky aspects of Brickshelf but I doubt you would like the alternative as much.

KL

Hope that helps.

Marc Nelson Jr.