 General / 48022
Re: New Knight's Kingdom Prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:36:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Laswell wrote:
... but labor is probably at the heart of it.  Many American
companies have resorted to transfering their production to China and/or
third-world countries because the reduced labor costs more than compensate for
the increased transportation costs, and yet their products still usually cost
more than they did 20 years ago.  The LEGO Company has, until now, kept their
production confined to Denmark and Switzerland ...

While primarily correct, there have been several examples of TLC farming out
some items to China (PRC). The ones I have noticed are: Galidor action figures,
The recent McD's promos and (IIRC) the Bionicles from the previous cycle with
McD's. I think part of this is due to items that did not need to meet TLC's
standards or had to have a low cost point, but they may be testing the waters.

Ray