 General / 48024
Re: New Knight's Kingdom Prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:28:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders wrote:
While primarily correct, there have been several examples of TLC farming out
some items to China (PRC). The ones I have noticed are: Galidor action
figures,

Huh.  Interesting.  I'd never noticed that, but indeed the package says that the
parts were made in China.  It reminds me of my two Craftsman adjustable wrenches
that were also made in China (they're 2" wrenches that were made for use as
keychains, but I did confirm that the local store would honor the lifetime
warranty on Craftsman handtools if they ever break).

The recent McD's promos and (IIRC) the Bionicles from the previous cycle with
McD's.

There have been two BIONICLE/fast food promos.  The original McToran sets, which
were actual TECHNIC parts, were all made in Denmark, and I suspect the
Australian rerelease sets were as well.  The second batch, which were all goofy
little trinket-toys, and which were only offered in the UK (and I believe they
were a BK promo, not McD) were not at all brick-compatible, so part tolerance
was probably much less restrictive.

I think part of this is due to items that did not need to meet TLC's
standards or had to have a low cost point, but they may be testing the
waters.

Maybe for the second BIONICLE promo, but every single Galidor body part had to
be TECHNIC compatible, with sockets and/or pins, but there's no mention at all
of parts being made in Europe.  Then again, TECHNIC pins have a retaining lip to
hold them in, and the Galidor parts have racheting sockets to hold their pose,
so I can see how they might not need quite as tight tolerances as the stud
interface on basic bricks.  Still, it's kinda sad to think that they might have
needed to have the Galidor parts produced in China to afford the licensing fees
for a show that bombed.  I wonder if they got pro-rated for the remainder of the
license, or if they had to pay the whole lump sum.