 General / 47616
47615  |  47617
Subject:
Living with the Color change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 22:11:17 GMT

Yes we do have a life besides the hobby, and in the grand scheme of life the Color Change is trivial. But within the realm of our hobby, the change is severely annoying on a daily basis, probably for years to come. That’s why the issue can’t be ‘put to bed’ even after we have heard all the arguments.

As an addition to general complaints about the color change, which we indeed know by now, I’d like to start a new thread, inviting solely *specific real-life experiences* concerning the color change. Without rants and personal attacks these experiences may add to the palette of consumer complaints wich Jake can bring to TLG’s management. I’ll start off with two examples.

Headache in large project

Within the Dutch LEGO society De Bouwsteen, we have been building a huge (45.000+ pieces) model of a brewery plant, measuring about 6.5 x 2.7 meter. Besides the building itself, I was involved in designing it and acquiring most parts.

At two points I came across the Color Change:

1. Normally we would have bought many of the new 4410 Creator set for general parts. However we only bought one, sorted out the grey and brown pieces and put them in a seperate container with a warning notice on it (‘Warning: new colors’) so noone on the project would accidentally mix them in with ‘old’ grey, of which we acquired most other parts (from pre-2004 products and from Bricklink). Too bad for an otherwise great new parts pack (4410).

2. I realised we were lucky the project started while most supply (e.g. baseplates) was still in ‘old’ grey. This project would have been a real headache about a year later, when supplies from different sources don’t match. We will actually have to count this in as a project risk for future projects. (E.g. what if supplies don’t match unexpectantly when time and budget is tight).

No multiple sets

The other day I bought 4855 Spiderman railcar set. Look at the picture: normally this would have been a superb train parts pack! I would have bought multiple copies over time. However, most of the set (left pile) will go into my Color Quarantain Bin of pieces I won’t be using. Ofcourse I can use them in MOC’s where color differences work well, but it would be very cumbersome to sort everything out again later. And no, I won’t give away the offcolored pieces :-) because I still want to be able to rebuild the original set. I just won’t be using them in mocs and therefore I won’t be buying multiple copies.

Even worse, I probably won’t be buying any other SPII or HP sets, because I don’t want to pay that kind of money for sets that *only* have value as its original model, without added value of usefulness in moc’s.

This may change in a couple of years, but for now, I will primarily buy sets that I find worthwhile as a model to keep together. This will approximately cut the number of sets I buy in half. I will spend more money on the aftermarket and pieces.

Please note, this cut-down is not an act of protest! Much to my regret it’s simply the result of how the new colors fit in (or don’t fit in) in the way I buy and use LEGO sets.

Eric Brok LEGO On My Mind

http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind/