 General / 47443
47442  |  47444
Subject:
Reasons for the color change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 13:00:27 GMT

Like many others, I am curious about why the colors were changed.  I am prepared
to accept whatever answer is given, even if it is one that I don't think makes a
good case for the change.  Some of the reasons that have been given officially
(correct me if I'm wrong) are:

* A focus group played with both sets of colors and prefered the new colors

* A color expert looked at the entire range of colors and changed the grays and
brown to be more "in line" with the classic colors red, yellow, blue and green.

This has left some people still wanting more explanation and this has been
presented:

* "good thinking"

* it was business decision

Both of these are vague and they don't mean anything without explanation.

If the color expert/focus group is the extent of the reason for the change,
maybe an explantion of color theory and why these new hues match better would go
a long way toward people understanding why the decision was made.

If there was more that went into the "good thinking" an explanation would be
great.  If the explanation is not avaialble for public consumption, even saying
that would help.

As far as the list of universal colors goes, I'm not sure it's a good idea to
make such a list.  Three colors are on it now that haven't stood the test of
time.  Shouldn't a color have to at least be in production for a number of years
before being considered for the "universal" list?  I think it's impossible to
say that something brand new will qualify for inclusion.  Besides, nobody will
remember or honor this list twenty five years from now.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com