 General / 47295
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 02:27:14 GMT

Bad news first – After much discussion and debate internally, the color change
will stand.

I figured as much. Oh well what can I do about it except stop purchasing brick
or act like a spoiled 5yr old. Personally I don't want to do either so you can
consider this a positive reply to your post

There was some good thinking that went into the color change
(although, yes, the implementation fell flat),

well that's an understatement  (sorry couldn't resist)

* The three new colors (light gray, dark gray, brown) will now be classified as
"universal", and these colors will NEVER be touched again.

I as well as others are very interested in what other colors made it to the
universal list. I look forward to reading your findings in the future as
promised.

* A certain few parts that are crucial to keep in the old colors will likely be
created as service pack type items. An example of this would be the 9v train
track. I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this thread) on which
elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long term. (And no, you
can’t say "the whole range of parts!" :) )

Humm "the whole range of parts"  J/K  I know this isn’t a realistic option and I
wish everyone understood this.

My parts list:

Train track
  In the normal product range verses a service packs. Basically this is so that
all train track from 1990 on up will match even if other parts of sets don't.
Color continuity on train track seems like a minor issue since colors vary in
real life but, Lego isn’t real, it's a toy. Basically in short; Lego set a
standard, whether they realized it or not, on the color of Lego train track and
they need to stick to it

Large baseplates
Since it wouldn't affect sets this is a minor request that is very important to
afol's and easy to do.

Burps
I didn’t realize until I read this thread but burps are something I use all the
time and would be lost without. A bulk pack with more rectangular burps than
triangular burps would be very useful to a lot of people including the non adult
Lego community and would likely prove to be a huge hit as long as it wasn't
overtly expensive. $1 a burp would probably be the price you would want to shoot
for when assembling a service pack. Anything more than $1 per burp would defer
interest from most customers including me.

* We also have received confirmation from colleagues that in the future, we will
include both the adult and kid enthusiasts in any testing related to
modification or change of the core building system.

Thank you, however I hope this doesn't happen any time soon.

I know this isn’t the silver bullet update you were hoping for, but hopefully
this bears some good news for you.

Well it's more of a lead covering but hey I’m a lot cooler than I was when I
first posted on this issue so it must be working.

Again, I know the color change upset many of you, and I don’t mean to re-open
wounds.

Well it's more like a scar now but hey I’ll live.

Thanks again for including us even if it was a little late. I if not all afols
do value the time and effort you put into your job and I hope you don't take
things too personally as a lot of us are simply venting our frustrations with
the Lego company through you. If I have done this in the past I apologize.

Later,
OnDrew