 General / 47274
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 23:00:43 GMT

Jake & All,

I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this thread) on which
elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long term. (And no, you
can’t say "the whole range of parts!" :) )

First, thanks for posting information for us on this subject, I am sure you feel
like drinking pink fluid sometimes when you do. : ) Seriously, I know a lot of
people in the clubs I am involved with are upset about this, as I think this is
one of the largest issues I have seen come up since I have been online around
1998.

(One of my first memories is meeting Larry P. via a bidding war on a E-bay lot
with a bunch of space parts!)

Anyway, there have been a lot of good suggestions on how to use the older
colors, here are a few of mine:

1) Santa Fe - It should have the old dark gray
2) Train Track - should be the same dark gray
3) I like some kind of tub approach - castle, SW, town, etc.

I guess my biggest concerns I have had in regard to color, both now and before
the color change for grays and brown, has to due with availability. A good
example are are two colors that are really nice, dark blue, and brick / dark
red. There have been a handful of sets with these colors in them, but are not in
enough to really make some creations outside of smaller details.

Chris Leach managed to pull together a brick red building:

but Chris hard a hard time building it - if you look inside, it is all the small
wedge plate and some 1x3's, which took hundreds of sets off of Bricklink to get.

My view would be something along the lines of when you get a new color, whatever
it is, make a few packs of different elements to launch it better:

Bricks:
1x pack, 2x pack, Brickplates
Plates:
1x plates, 2x plates, large plates
Cylindrical pieces:
1x1 cyl. brick, 2x2, curved 1x1 bricks like on Flash Speeder, 4x variety as well
Slopes:
45D pack, 33D pack, corner slopes!!!!, Inverted!!!!
TILES:
1x pack, 2x pack, cyl

2x2 tile pack of every color - I don't care what gray it is, but I would like
some kind of gray for sidewalks and spaceports!)

I think if there is a way to get some of the more basic parts in the new color,
and offer it in a cost effective manner, 20.00 tubs or whatever, I think people
would not mind as much.

My 2x2 brick's worth of thought, anyway.

Thanks again, Jake for giving us some information.

Sincerely,
Scott S.
--
Scott E. Sanburn