 General / 47178
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 16:41:42 GMT

"Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote in message
news:Hx918L.CEz@lugnet.com...
To the question about "good thinking", no matter what the answer is, • anything I
say will upset many of you. I can fully and totally understand that.

Yes, it will most likely be upsetting.

But it is my personal belief that we just have not heard the whole story as
to how and why this change came about. I still have a difficult time
wrapping my brain around the idea of Lego replacing a core color. I can
understand making new colors and shades. Variety is good. But replacement is
bad.

Replacing colors just because a focus group says "they look better" does not
seem to be a strong enough reason to generate this type of upheaval.

While it has generated upheaval in the consumer LEGO arena - I can only
imagine the effect the color changes has generated internally at LEGO (new
raw materials, changes to instructions, dealing with producing older sets in
the new colors, supplying the model shops with old vs. new colors, handling
consumer questions, etc.)

So somebody must have determined that whatever the reason was, it was good
enough and the pros outweighed the cons.

The LEGO community has pretty much identified every consumer related "con"
as to the color change.
And I'm sure there are "cons" internally at TLC (mentioned above).

But what are the "pros" that TLC came up with to warrent the color changes?
(1)

There must have been some really big "pros" on the list to upset the SYSTEM
in this manner.

And I'm sure many LEGO fans would like to hear more about the pros for the
color change. Seeing a list of reasons might make some folks step back and
say "OK - now I can sort of understand why."

Jake - thank you for your continued communication with us on this topic.

Bryan

(1) I'm sure some of the reasons are labeled "corporate secret" - but please
share.