 General / 47154
47153  |  47155
Subject:
Which colours ARE "universal" now?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 14:54:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi, Jake,

first of all: I know you're only the messenger. Take the bullets to
those who are responsible for this.

Jake McKee wrote:
Good news – based on the discussions and debates, many colleagues are clear that
the color change dramatically affected the AFOLs. They are also clearly aware of
the reasons it has upset you. In order to help address some of your concerns,
several things have been agreed upon.
<sarcasm>
Translation: Even the dumbest managers can learn a little from an
outright desaster. It may be late, but what the f..., its only
customers. Just put up some policies for the next time we wreck something.
</sarcasm>

* The three new colors (light gray, dark gray, brown) will now be classified as
"universal", and these colors will NEVER be touched again. There will, of
course, be colors that change over time with trends, but not these universal
ones.
OK. Now: which other colours are marked "universal" - or more important:
which are not? Could you clarify about the "universal" status of the
core colours, especially white, which was or maybe still is on the list
of colours to be replaced?

* A certain few parts that are crucial to keep in the old colors will likely be
created as service pack type items. An example of this would be the 9v train
track. I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this thread) on which
elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long term. (And no, you
can’t say "the whole range of parts!" :) )
Of course I can say "the whole range of parts!". Who are you to stop me? ;)

Bricks, plates, slopes, arches, most of the modified bricks and plates.
Anything short of "all" makes no real sense.

* We also have received confirmation from colleagues that in the future, we will
include both the adult and kid enthusiasts in any testing related to
modification or change of the core building system. (Please note that there are
not any plans whatsoever in the works for making changes)
Well, at least none of the plans are known to you. The information
pathways at TLC are wonderous at best, and non-existing on average, so
the decision to make the studs square in the future will hit those who
are in the front like you when it is done and over. And, as you might
have noticed, the community will know this quite early (although we
learned about this desaster way too late...)

And the one and only conclusion they should have drawn from this
catastrophy is not "ask some more people before we do this" but "don't
do this at all".

Therefor, it is (again) too little, too late.

I know this isn’t the silver bullet update you were hoping for, but hopefully
this bears some good news for you.
Simply: No.

Again, I know the color change upset many of you, and I don’t mean to re-open
wounds. Thanks for your patience while we worked on getting this put to bed once
and for all. As I’ve said before, out of all bad things comes something
positive. In this case, the positive is that there are many more people
internally who understand your passion and interest.
Maybe it is put to bed for the management. This just shows that those in
charge did not understand the issue.

But the issue is still alive and will burn on. At least with us.

Yours, Christian Treczoks