 General / 45518
Re: Community run (was Re: LEGOFan.net...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:57:16 GMT

Mark P <mark@landofbricks.com> wrote:
And Dan, Jake - can you please adress this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=45449

I can address the first part of that. Having the letters l, e, g, and o in
that order in a domain name is not on its face a trademark violation or
misuse nor something the Lego company has control over. (Some big-money
decisions in the other direction notwithstanding.) The only reason people
should avoid l-e-g-o domains is to cater to Lego's wishes -- which is a
perfectly nice thing to do. But if Lego wants to stop being quite so
uptight about it when some asks nicely, that's all good.

And this actually somewhat answers the last question: .com implies
"commercial", which very easily *could* step into trademark violation.

(notalawyer)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>